real time web analytics
Report - - Porth Wen Brickworks, Llanbadrig, Nov, 19 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Porth Wen Brickworks, Llanbadrig, Nov, 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
This is my first report from my Angelsey and Dinorwig wanders, I wont be posting in chronological order tho as this was the last thing we did on the first day, Suspect atleast another two reports and maybe a third if im ready for my Dinorwig, 'Super Report' (I will have photos from early as 2017 in that one).
Anyway back to this site,
History from @ledgehammer
Porth Wen Brickworks is a now disused Victorian brickworks which produced fire bricks, made from quartzite (silica) used to line steel-making furnaces. The substantial remains include a number of buildings and the remains of some of the machinery, but has some damage from sea erosion
Porthwen Brickworks includes quarries, an incline tramroad to the works, and includes a crushing house, moulding shed, drying sheds, and kilns. The brickmaking operation was supported by storage hoppers, engine house, boiler house, chimneys, warehouse and a quay.
Brickmaking started on the site in the mid 19th century, with the tramroad being added later, and the existing buildings being built in the early 20th century. Although the brickworks ceased production in the first half of the 20th century (sources vary on the date; either 1924 or 1949),the buildings and much of the equipment remain in situ.
Explore
A nice way to end a day exploring the although in the summer at this time i might of only just started, the walk was a muddy one but we wore proper footwear so id recommend that as it does get very steep at the end, this is certainly a bizarre place from the lack of any road access to the collapsed floor under the building to the three huts, Although in the summer it would be a nice place to swim.

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_162958.jpg
    IMG_20191103_162958.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
:thumb What a stunning explore. Lovely views. Love your opening shot. Ive never been to Angelsey. There seems to lots in N Wales. Great report:cool:

ScopingSeal

28DL Member
28DL Member
I visit this a few times a year on sea kayaking trips but wonder how long the main building will be standing as it seems to be eroding ever more quickly. I love the autumnal colours in the pictures.

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That bay is one of my favourite places for a swim. Painful getting in over the pebbles though...