Web
Analytics
General - - Possible abandoned house, Stockbridge | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Possible abandoned house, Stockbridge

TOC142009

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Could this house be abandoned?

So I've been looking on google earth and I've found what looks to be an abandoned house near Stockbridge, Hampshire. There's a note on the gate which could be to do with planning permission, there's also a skip on the drive way so its in the process of being cleared, it's hard to tell from google earth as obviously they could be old images.

I just wanted to gauge others opion on here. I'll include some pics which I've screenshot off google earth.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
Regular User
always knock on the door, check the car for dates and make sure its abandoned before you even think of looking for an entrance,

WurbanM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks fairly abandoned its all overgrown but by the looks of it with skip looks like someone's clearing it out

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
28DL Full Member
Overgrown and skips mean nothing. Google Earth will tell you when the images was recorded so that should give you a good idea. As @Calamity Jane said, if it’s not on the site, the only way to really find out is go and visit, but please follow @Shaun’s advice to double check and knock if anything, last thing you want is walking into somewhere active with someone inside, then you have problems.

Scoobysrt

-- .- -.. . -.-- --- ..- .-.. --- --- -.-
28DL Full Member
Apple maps might give you a more up to date picture than Google.
Searching Google (Internet search) for the address can also help in these situations.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Overgrown and skips mean nothing. Google Earth will tell you when the images was recorded so that should give you a good idea. As @Calamity Jane said, if it’s not on the site, the only way to really find out is go and visit, but please follow @Shaun’s advice to double check and knock if anything, last thing you want is walking into somewhere active with someone inside, then you have problems.
So true, I found a little cottage a while back, the gate on a construction rd, no drive, and cottage in a dip was nearly all covered with undergrowth. The top windows boarded as they were smashed. No bins, cars etc. Address didnt come up on a search. So I ventured there to look, stumbling down the steps over broken toys. But as I approached the cottage and its boarded windows, I saw a light, I thought explorers; wrong someone was in the kitchen making tea, I popped my head up and saw them through a window. Not all is as it first seems. lol.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
So true, I found a little cottage a while back, the gate on a construction rd, no drive, and cottage in a dip was nearly all covered with undergrowth. The top windows boarded as they were smashed. No bins, cars etc. Address didnt come up on a search. So I ventured there to look, stumbling down the steps over broken toys. But as I approached the cottage and its boarded windows, I saw a light, I thought explorers; wrong someone was in the kitchen making tea, I popped my head up and saw them through a window. Not all is as it first seems. lol.
Been there several times. Found one last year we were convinced was empty, top windows just had flapping polythene on some of them.
We walked round trying doors & windows first stupidly then knocked & someone answered oops!
Not particularly old guy either, its amazing how some people live!

HanKath

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s owned by Waitrose but it’s not lived in !
there are a few properties in the area the same condition! They used to be workers cottages

Rachyt

Beauty isn’t always perfection
28DL Full Member
This isn’t too far from me, good luck let us know how it goes! I usually knock on the door with some flyers to hand out lol

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's Grade 2 listed as are most of the nearby properties.
Hardly any property nearby has been sold since records have been made public.
John Lewis / Waitrose own and farm the nearby 4000 acre estate.

So it would seem highly likely that John Lewis / Waitrose own all the properties surrounding the Estate.

HanKath

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I live in the estate and they don’t own 4000 acres now but they do own that particular property and it’s empty because of asbestos

amfalconer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Think this one's cropped up before on here, can't for the life of me find the report.

Given the apparent age of that property, I'd be surprised if there's that much asbestos in there other than retrofitted pipe laggings etc.

HanKath

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The asbestos issue is more to do with the adjoining outbuilding at the back , it was very damp and it needed a lot of work doing to get new tenants in so it’s just been left to rot along with a couple of other properties up the road , but it is checked continuously by the estate and is now locked up