real time web analytics
Report - - POW Camp Widnes/Warrington | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - POW Camp Widnes/Warrington

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webb7 Photography

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this site over the weekend, access to the site is very easy no security. Not a bad visit and think I got some decent shots on this one. The site is very overgrown and unstable so if anyone visits I would advise to probably avoid the top floor as there are chunks missing out of it. There was also a cabin on site which wasn't as old as the site so I can only imagine that this was maybe for security or maybe some sort of construction/demolition after it was abandoned

History
From what I have read on this it was previously a POW camp. The main part of the site was demolished when they closed it but the warehouse still remains with a couple out smaller building out the back. Wasn't really able to find much more info on the building but here are the pics anyway. Pretty run down as it's been derelict for many years now.

IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg

Holes were on the upper floor, made it all look unstable
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg

Lookout building at the from which can be seen from the roadside
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1127.jpg

These picture were of the building at the back of the property. Lots of tyres in there and around this site
IMG_1059.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg

We spotted this little temporary building on out way out.

IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
Always seems odd that people call this a PoW camp when the remains of Barrows Green (H17) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery at the back are more extensive and predate the later use for PoWs. There is nothing left to show the use as a PoW camp.
The HAA Battery is a listed grouping and best visited in the winter, preferably after a dry spell of weather. The gun laying RADAR platform is a fairly rare survivor. Only two of the emplacements were fitted with guns. One of the emplacements and several of the buildings were demolished when the agricultural building and new house were built. The small water tower near the road also dates from 1940.

PoW Camp 290 (South Lane Farm Hostel) utilised some of the unused Royal Artillery Barrack huts to house low risk Italian PoWs and was subsequently used briefly as a displaced persons camp before returning to agricultural use (chicken farming). Post war the huts were sold off and at least one was still in use by 10th Warrington Scouts until fairly recently.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 294) View details