real time web analytics
Report - - Power Plant, Charleroi - Belgium - July 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Power Plant, Charleroi - Belgium - July 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Beautiful power station
On first entry it looks like most has been stripped. But as is usual in power stations, you soon realise there are many levels and there was still plenty to see.
Built in 1921, Power Plant IM was once one of Belgium's largest coal-burning power plants; by 1977, it had become Charleroi's main source of energy and cooled an astounding 500,000 gallons of water per minute. According to AtlasObscura.com, "water would be let into the cooling tower where it would be cooled by the wind that swept in from portals in the base of the tower, releasing billowing columns of hot air." In the early 2000s, a report discovered that the plant was responsible for 10% of Belgium's total CO2 emissions and attention from Greenpeace protests led to the site's eventual closing in 2007

PSIM-2.jpg
PSIM-5.jpg
PSIM-7.jpg
PSIM-9.jpg
PSIM-14.jpg
PSIM-18.jpg
PSIM-19.jpg
PSIM-21.jpg
PSIM-25.jpg
PSIM-27.jpg
PSIM-29.jpg
PSIM-38.jpg
PSIM-39.jpg
PSIM-49.jpg
PSIM-50.jpg
PSIM-52.jpg
PSIM-53.jpg
PSIM-58.jpg
PSIM-70.jpg
PSIM-73.jpg
PSIM-79.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report but that is a sorry looking state since I went 2013. It was mint and an amazing control room which we slept in.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Nice report but that is a sorry looking state since I went 2013. It was mint and an amazing control room which we slept in.
Yes, I was expecting even less though to be honest.
We worked our way to the control room, but all the floor panels had been stripped out and I was getting increasingly nervous the higher we climbed in these conditions. I've also seen photos of it looking rather beaten up so didn't think it was probably worth it (although of course in retrospect now I wish I had pressed on)