real time web analytics
Report - - Power Station IM, Charleroi, August 2021 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Power Station IM, Charleroi, August 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A bit of history:

The power station IM, which is also known as Monceau Central Thermique, was built in Monceau-Sur-Sambre near Charleroi, in 1921 by the “Charbonnage de Monceau Fontaine”. Le “Charbonage de Monceau, was the largest mining company in Charelroi and its origins can be traced back to 1804, when Charles-Alexandre de Gavre, the former lord of Monceau, founded the “Société de Monceau-Fontaine” with 5 associates. After two expansions in the interwar period it became one of the largest coal-burning power plants in Belgium, with a capacity of about 47 MW.

In 1950 a new power station was put into operation next to the old one. The factory buildings, designed by F. and L. Vandenbroucke, consisted of three brick volumes of decreasing height, with large glazed areas. The cooling tower was located on the other side of the Sambre (right bank). An almost identical power station was built in 1953 in Marchienne-au-Pont at coal seat 19 (Saint-Martin), where the Charbonnage de Monceau Fontaine also produced electricity since 1912. Both sites were operated by Intercom which later merged into Electrabel. With a new extension in 1964, the factory buildings in Monceau were more than doubled by a gray extension. In the 1970s, the power station was further expanded so that it could also run on natural gas. By 1977 the plant was the main power station in the Charleroi region.

After a report showing that the plant was responsible for 10% of Belgium’s carbon dioxide emissions, Greenpeace protested against the plant. The plant, which had a capacity of 92 MW at the time, was closed in 2007.

In 2020 they took out parts of the "ground" floor and destroyed all the stairways, including those that let up to the cooling tower and the gasometer :(

The explore:

I visited the power station IM with a friend (non-member). Getting into the power station was very easy (although there were some lorries driving around) but getting to the upper floor with the turbines requires a bit of a climb due to the universal lack of stairs. On the plus side, once you you are on the upper floor there is nothing that stops you from climbing higher as all other staircases seem to be intact. I have no idea how long this state of affairs will last though. Getting into the cooling tower now also requires a climb up from the bottom of the tower, which unfortunately I did not get around to as I was running out of time. I am planning a return trip though.

Here are some of the pics I took...

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thank you . Will have to go back at some stage. There is a control room hiding somewhere. And I would like to get into the cooling tower…

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thank you . Will have to go back at some stage. There is a control room hiding somewhere. And I would like to get into the cooling tower…
Hopefully you find it. Been in the cooling tower. But never went in the power station. Wished we had now.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report but wow this place has gone down hill badly. You make it to control room. We slept in here about 7/8 years ago when it was mint condition.

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report but wow this place has gone down hill badly. You make it to control room. We slept in here about 7/8 years ago when it was mint condition.

Thanks. Unfortunately I did not find the control room. Planning a return trip around Christmas…

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Would it be possible for you to let me know where the control room is located?

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Nicely done.
Ignoring the Graffiti, it looks rather nice. Interesting to see the turbine split in half with it all still intact.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Crazy how totally fucked this place is now, I still fondly remember climbing up the razor wire filled coal conveyors to get in all the way back in 2012. Now it looks not too dissimilar to how Centrale Thermique in Luxembourg did.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Would it be possible for you to let me know where the control room is located?

I remember there were two, one boarded out with 70s TV screens and stuff which off to one side from the modern turbine hall (pretty much below where you are stood in pic 12) The other was the green one with curved desks, more 50s vintage. I recall around 2013/4 most of the control desks were stripped out and retained by some well meaning Belgian umbex types when the buildings started to get properly raped.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Mate fab set of pix and still loads to see. Got preoccupied with the cooling towers when I was here and didn't look round the piwerstatiin, stupidly...

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Ah
This place was a lot better than I was expecting when I visited. As is usual in that part of the world though, there are so many things to see that nothing gets the time it deserves. I think I allowed myself 75minutes in here.
When researching, I got the feeling that the retro control room was gone. I did make it nearly up to where it was but by that point all the flooring was stripped. I didn't think it worth waddling across beams to get to something that probably wasn't there.

I wonder how much longer the Charleroi treats will be around?

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I guess for a little while as there is still a lot standing! Having said that I also visited the "Blue Power Station" and there were workers in the turbine hall, all day long. So I have to return to see that as well. Hang around for a couple of hours but they did not want to leave :mad: