real time web analytics
Report - - Princes Jetty and Landing Stages (Liverpool, Feb, 2020) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Princes Jetty and Landing Stages (Liverpool, Feb, 2020)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Dullest explore ever? Maybe, but these structures are due to be demolished to make way for a new cruise ship terminal, so worth a final look.

The interest is mainly historical - the landing stages were a test bed for the use of reinforced concrete in the docks, paving the way for the much more famous Liver Building (the first large concrete-framed building in the UK).

To see what we’re talking about, first an old photo and the current satellite view.

49570923441_f35bb43e6b_b.jpg

The jetty is the bit sticking out on the left.

Constructed entirely of wood it was built in 1900 by L.G. Mouchel and A.G Lyster, the son of the G. F. Lyster who remodelled the half-tide entrance of Princes Dock (behind the tower block on the left).

Its purpose was to provide a tying-up place for vessels waiting to enter the dock as well as to load and unload goods.

Partially behind and to the right of the jetty are the two landing stages, which are just concrete platforms supported on wooden legs.

Together the jetty and stages formed the northern end of the floating Princes landing stage, which in those days extended right up to the jetty.

The main trade in this section of the waterfront was with Ireland, as can be seen from the names on the transit sheds.

By 1936 the cattle pens visible on the landing stages in the 1920 photo had been replaced by sheds, and the cranes on the jetty had gone.

The jetty and landing stages were last used in 1981.

49570417703_26531f578e_b.jpg

Pictures are from a couple of visits with different (borrowed) cameras.

For more pictures see @georgie’s post from 2010, https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/princes-landing-stage-liverpool-may-2010.50466/

This also has background on Princes Dock and its long floating landing stage, as well as some interesting comments.

View of the jetty from the Princes Half-Tide Dock next door.

49570417653_b8c298f64b_b.jpg

The cranes visible in the 1920 photo above were hydraulically powered, made by C&A Musker, who had a factory (long demolished) in the Tuebrook area of Liverpool. One of the original plans.

49570923291_c5a4ab4314_b.jpg

The cranes ran on tracks, which are still there, parallel to a spur off the line to the Riverside terminal.

49570417583_60aa222e2f_b.jpg

Nothing much else to see on top except a wheeled gangplank - the collapsed thing on the left is the remains of a little hut.

49570923256_8bb571a41a_b.jpg

One level down is a blocked off tunnel in the dock wall which used to emerge in front of where the tower block now stands.

The little tunnel next to it, which is blocked off after a few yards, was probably for services such as pressurised water for the cranes.

49571152167_a9e455d372_b.jpg

The pipes ran down a platform on the left of the view below.

49570923111_32d39b8c77_b.jpg

At regular intervals wooden troughs cross below the top deck. I’m guessing these carried pressurised water to hydrants (now gone) for the cranes.

Hydraulic cranes had a system of joined feed pipes which allowed some movement, but eventually had to be unplugged and shifted to another hydrant if they moved too far.

49570923096_10ec569c00_b.jpg

There are also drains at regular intervals, maybe for the expelled water.

49570417368_681641dc6b_b.jpg

Views towards town.

49570922946_6d4730200d_b.jpg

49571151977_e46acddaf5_b.jpg

A ramp which originally led up to the top deck.

49570417258_61581bd32c_b.jpg

Heading further down we take the stairs.

49571151897_d232eefeb3_b.jpg

49571151847_17c06282f6_b.jpg

Some of supports and beams look like concrete but are in fact just barnacle-encrusted wood (said to be greenheart, the favoured wood for lock gates).

49570417138_68150cd098_b.jpg

Under the gap between the jetty and the neighbouring landing stage - there used to be a ramp sloping down to the floating stage here.

49570922746_75e11641ff_b.jpg

As mentioned at the beginning, the most interesting thing about the landing stages is the early use of reinforced concrete for the decks.

Civil engineers are a conservative bunch, and were quite rightly unsure about combining two materials - steel and concrete - with such disparate physical and chemical properties.

So although this was by no means the first use of the newfangled ‘ferrocrete’ in the UK, a humble landing stage was seen as a good first test in dockland.

Liverpool lawyers even helped draft the British patent:

49570922801_70b01b5890_b.jpg

I clambered around a bit trying to get phone shots of the underside of the landing stages, but in the end the best picture comes from a heritage assessment done as part of the planning application for demolition
(18L/3270, the jetty and landing stages are not listed, but the dock wall they’re attached to is).

Also shown is one of the original plans for the reinforced beams.

49571151722_9899f8d0b0_b.jpg

As can be seen, the underside is pretty close to the water at high (spring) tide, which probably contributes to the decay.

49570416953_31eb8e44eb_b.jpg

To finish, a picture taken from about the same position at low tide, showing the large tidal range of the estuary, which illustrates why people have been talking about a tidal barrage on the Mersey for years.

49571151602_0499701204_b.jpg

Thinking about what one could do with the currently unused central docks it strikes me that we already have a little barrage.

I reckon if the system was made fully tidal, with water turbines installed in the outer dock walls, maybe ca 0.5 MW could be generated, about the same a medium sized wind turbine.

One of the local accumulator towers could even be renovated for temporary energy storage (rather low capacity though).

This almost certainly won’t happen, but if it does you read it here first!

REF. Some of the more reliable history of the jetty above comes from an article by K.G. Smith and A.E. Jarvis, https://docplayer.net/45050908-Innovation-in-civil-and-structural-engineering.html

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
As always comprehensive stuff fella, maybe not massively exciting but historically important and well documented

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Dullest explore!! Not a chance!
How the hell do you take something that I wouldn't think of exploring and make a fantastic, interesting, eye catching report, fit for a book. Its factual historical interest is class, the shots class, the old photos class. Quality as ever, I love history, and I always learn something new from your reports. Fantastic :thumb

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I really enjoyed this one, although I have to say rotting wood, holes in the floor, big gaps between beams over water made me twitchy as fk!

Regcar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting report, I have learnt a lot. I had never heard about the proposals for a tidal barrage before. Lots of info on the web. The only thing I didn't understand was the talk of locks for shipping. As they are building a cruise terminal for presumably huge ships, is it financially viable to build enormous locks?
Like the idea of a footpath and cyclway across the river. Many thanks for such a well written report.

Correction - after reading a few websites it seems that the barrier would be much higher up the river than I thought, well above where the really big ships would go.

Last edited:

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very interesting report, I have learnt a lot. I had never heard about the proposals for a tidal barrage before. Lots of info on the web. The only thing I didn't understand was the talk of locks for shipping. As they are building a cruise terminal for presumably huge ships, is it financially viable to build enormous locks?
Like the idea of a footpath and cyclway across the river. Many thanks for such a well written report.

Correction - after reading a few websites it seems that the barrier would be much higher up the river than I thought, well above where the really big ships would go.
Yes, the cruise liners currently berth at the floating landing stage - the plan is to extend it to something like the 1920 configuration, replacing the old jetty and cattle wharves with a new structure on stilts.

As you say the most likely place for the barrage is further upriver, but it may still need big locks for the Manchester Ship Canal traffic.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I would hardly call it dull. What is,there not to like. The usual perfect amount of write up not too much to read. Great pics and very informative and something different which I always like.

MrBumble

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi there. Bumping this thread to enquire if you have a source for that diagram of a Musker hydraulic crane? I'm currently researching them and would give my left everything to know where you found the image!

Who has read this thread (Total: 310) View details