real time web analytics
Report - - Princess Royal Colliery Baths, Dec 07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Princess Royal Colliery Baths, Dec 07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visit with OT. The Princess Royal colliery closed in the 1980's, and since then the baths have been used by what looks like an antique restorer. With the knowledge the building had been put to other uses after the colliery closed, I did not have high hopes for the baths. Imagine our dismay when we pulled up and it was under demolition!!

We asked the demo blokes if we could go in, and they said ask at the cabina cross the road. We asked at the cabin and they said ask the demo blokes:confused:. Well OT seemeed as if he did not know what to do next, but I was one step ahead... no one had actually told us no!!
So we walked onto the site, slipped the unlocked padlock off the door and dived inside! I was amazed to see much of the NCB fixtures and fittings remained, including the typical staircase, boot greasing room and even signs of the baths. The whole place was filled with broken and rusty antiques, left from the last occupants.

I should mention they were actually demolishing the building while we were inside, and every now and then we would hear a 'larger' lump of the place hit the roof above us:eek:

The fact this bathhouse is being demolished is very disappointing. It was on the 20th C society's list (as if that ever does any good) but it's another increasingly rare building lost. Annesley's survival is becoming more and more inportant. 4 have been demolished this year!!

To see this was great. Original signage. Signs of this style are typical of a bathhouse from this age, but are very rare.

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0117-1.jpg

Most bath houses have these huge windows running down the staircase.
DSC_0115-1.jpg

DSC_0113-1.jpg

DSC_0108-2.jpg

DSC_0105-2.jpg

Workwear issue hatch
DSC_0103-1.jpg

The small ovals that can be seen are where the bath partitions fixed to the wall.
DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0100-1.jpg

DSC_0088-1.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: Princess Royal Colliery Baths, REPORT

Yeah it was a good explore, totally blagged. The girl in the offices - I thought we were on a loser when she bollocked us for not getting permission to even be in the yard.

Rooms full of rotting junk...

IMG_2983.jpg

Old signs in the boot cleaning room...

IMG_2986.jpg

Stairwell...

IMG_2988.jpg

A room full of berets and ammo boxes...

IMG_2991.jpg

In the bathhouse main rooms...

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

Stairwell...

IMG_3015.jpg

More old signage...

IMG_3026.jpg

Like Dweeb said, the building was actually coming down around us...

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Oh well, it probably won't be there next month.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Princess Royal Colliery Baths, REPORT

The boots were greased from a large urn that was next to the boot brushing room. Boots were brushed clean of dirt and greased (and not the other way around according to the sign lol!)
The urns looked like this

DSC_0391.jpg