real time web analytics
Report - - principal clock tower, Manchester - March 2017 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - principal clock tower, Manchester - March 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Principal Hotel occupies the Refuge Insurance Building on Oxford Road and Whitworth Street. It is infact two building, Building 1 by Alfred Waterhouse (the architect of the Town Hall) and Building 2 by his son Paul. Surmounted by the 217 foot tall clock tower, this has always been a Manchester landmark. Alfred Waterhouse completed Building 1 in 1895 and Paul completed Building 2 in 1912. It was further extended along Whitworth Street by Stanley Birkett in 1932.

Until November of 2017 it was known as the Palace Hotel but, following a refurbishment that is said to hgave cost in excess of £25M, it reopened as the Principal Hotel. The somewhat iconic red "PALACE" sign that had stood near the top of the clock tower for many years was replaced with a rather more discrete white "PRINCIPAL" sign. The new name is also displayed at street level along Oxford Road.

IMG_9347.jpg

This was one that i always wanted to do, looking out towards oxford road station during sunset made it so worth it
IMG_9366.jpg

the view from inside
IMG_9389.jpg

down oxford road
IMG_9357.jpg

there they are!!!
IMG_0554.jpg

this has to be one of my favourite things in Manchester. seeing the insides of such a beautiful feature on the Manchester skyline.
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9354.jpg

and then it was time to wrap it up after watching an epic sunset
IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

jowenowen

28DL Member
28DL Member
Walk past this every day! Amazing to see it from that perspective, beautiful shots! Have inspired me to get my camera out!

urbanexplore2100

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Principal Hotel occupies the Refuge Insurance Building on Oxford Road and Whitworth Street. It is infact two building, Building 1 by Alfred Waterhouse (the architect of the Town Hall) and Building 2 by his son Paul. Surmounted by the 217 foot tall clock tower, this has always been a Manchester landmark. Alfred Waterhouse completed Building 1 in 1895 and Paul completed Building 2 in 1912. It was further extended along Whitworth Street by Stanley Birkett in 1932.

Until November of 2017 it was known as the Palace Hotel but, following a refurbishment that is said to hgave cost in excess of £25M, it reopened as the Principal Hotel. The somewhat iconic red "PALACE" sign that had stood near the top of the clock tower for many years was replaced with a rather more discrete white "PRINCIPAL" sign. The new name is also displayed at street level along Oxford Road.

IMG_9347.jpg

This was one that i always wanted to do, looking out towards oxford road station during sunset made it so worth it
IMG_9366.jpg

the view from inside
IMG_9389.jpg

down oxford road
IMG_9357.jpg

there they are!!!
IMG_0554.jpg

this has to be one of my favourite things in Manchester. seeing the insides of such a beautiful feature on the Manchester skyline.
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9354.jpg

and then it was time to wrap it up after watching an epic sunset
IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg
How do you get in there as when I went I couldn’t find the entrance

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
How do you get in there as when I went I couldn’t find the entrance

Welcome to 28DL.

Have a read of these two threads, they'll show you how things work on the forum -

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/new-members-dos-and-donts-read-this-before-posting.113090/

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/28-days-later-survival-guide-for-newbies.116319/

...then put your location in the search bar and post some reports of places you've been so people know you're genuine, that way they're more likely to get in touch. That's also the best way to become a full member

Who has read this thread (Total: 272) View details