real time web analytics
Report - - Prospect Railway Tunnel 05.02.08 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Prospect Railway Tunnel 05.02.08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cardiffrail

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited the Prospect Tunnel, in the grounds of the Rudding Park Estate on the same day as Barnsdale. The tunnel is quite a contrast ffrom the Barnsdale Tunnel. The portal stonework is far more austere and the biggest issue is that this tunnel is rather wet. The eastern end especially. My explroe did not start well. Standing in the flooded east portal, I was getting my head torch out of my coat pocket, and it snagged my van keys (yes I had driven up in the works van) and dropped them into the puddle. - that could have seriusly spoilt my day, especially as by boss did not know I was there in the first place ! That one sorted, I also had to contend with the fact that light was fading rapidly and by the way back there was not much 'light at the end of the tunnel' to aim for.

Inside, it is flooded to its full width in several locations and the floor is rather uneven. The tunnel is lined in red brick, and the floor is covered in crushed red bricks. Interestingly, the refuges in the tunnel walls are of differing designs. Those to the eastern end are brick arch recesses, from the centre to the west end, they are built with lintels made from rails. Additionally, it is graffiti and rubbish free. The tunnel is approximately half a mile long, straight and built for double track. There is at least one capped shaft.

P2050074.jpg

P2050076.jpg

P2050084.jpg

P2050088.jpg

P2050096.jpg

P2050103.jpg

P2050104.jpg

P2050106.jpg

P2050107.jpg

P2050110.jpg

P2050114.jpg