real time web analytics
Report - - Protestant village church, northern Poland | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Protestant village church, northern Poland

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bloodklaat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys

My first report is from a village church located in a place that has an interesting if somewhat sad history. Before last war, there were Germans living in the village alongside Polish Catholics. Two groups had their separate places of worship. The German (protestant) church was officially opened in 1901 by Prussian Kaiser Wilhelm II himself. The village belonged then to the Prussian Empire. Since 1918 it was in Poland.

After the last war, ethnic Germans were expelled from Polish Republic. This church, amongst others, has fallen into disuse and rots away since. It belongs to a local Protestant parish but there are no worshippers in the village and parish is not interested in selling it, apparently preferring it to become ruin.

There is still a lot of features present, including iron cross on the top of the bell tower. Also, a lot of the original woodwork survived which is a compliment for the locals who left the church alone instead plundering it for valuable timber.

krk.jpg

Street view

IMGP2988.JPG

Front view, the main entrance. The door is locked and the notice is posted on it, warning not to enter the building at the risk of death.

IMGP2991.JPG

Solid stone foundations and brickwork still looking good after 70 years of neglect

IMGP2995.JPG

North side

IMGP3003.JPG

Entrance to the cellars

IMGP3005.JPG

Tower view

IMGP3007.JPG

Cellar

IMGP3009.JPG

There's been some digging in there, maybe someone looked for German treasures or some old resident came back to retrieve what was hidden there before advancing Russian troops in early 1945, can't say.

IMGP3016.JPG

Back of the church, east side. Cellars windows visible.

IMGP3021.JPG

Inside of the building. Some pews remain intact. The choir gallery still stands, too, despite large portion of the roof that had collapsed on top of it, destroying the organ. What's left of the stairs leading up to the tower is on the left.

IMGP3027.JPG

Wall paintings to the left from the altar. "Kommt" means "come".

IMGP3028.JPG

Right hand side of the altar

IMGP3029.JPG

Back (eastern) wall

IMGP3031.JPG

Roof is largely intact, except western end of the nave where it had collapsed long ago

IMGP3032.JPG

Sad, really. I took my 4 year old daughter to visit the place and she said to me afterwards "I don't want that castle to be ruined like that. I want it repaired". We visited a lot of English Heritage castles before and she calls every big old building with a tower "a castle".

IMGP3035.JPG

Cracks already start to appear in the walls, especially in the NE section

IMGP3036.JPG

IMGP3038.JPG

Main (front) entrance under the bell tower
IMGP3048.JPG

View of the nave from the organ gallery

IMGP3063.JPG

The cornerstone. Unfortunately I neither can read Gothic nor understand German. By the dates 1701 and 1901 present I presume that it commemorates 200th anniversary of the Prussian Empire.

Last edited: