real time web analytics
Report - - Purley Gas Holder - 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Purley Gas Holder - 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stitch

SWC
28DL Full Member
Purley Gas Holder - 2014

There is not too much in the way of history on this gas holder, it was constructed on the site of what was once known as the Croydon Gasworks and was absolutely VAST. Croydon once was home to 2 large power stations not dissimilar to Battersea, those would have been a real sight to see.

unnamed.jpg

You can make out the Gas Holder on the left hand side. The one climbed is the closer of the two.

This climb is from absolutey yonks ago so forgive me for the shortness of this report, it was visited by myself and cut.and.cover one cold night. The site is pretty much empty apart from a grubby looking electricity station with a modern metal chimney and a few large pipes cross crossing the yard. There are 2 gas holders on the site with one of them missing its towering cage, we instantly could see our target and casually wandered over to the base of the gas holder. Cut.and.cover was the first to grip the rusty baby blue coloured ladder and begin his ascent, I followed soon after. There is an absence of tall buildings in this part of town, so once you are above the roof line of the local neighbourhood the wind hits you and you feel very exposed, the tram line below quietly going about its business with nobody looking up at the great hulking structure beside them, and the 2 figures slowly making their way up it.

Purley Gas 4.jpg

Power station and Tower.

Purley Gas 3.jpg

Base of the Gas Holder.

A large bit of rust whizzed past me, knocked off by cut.and.cover whist he was climbing the ladder. It hit the bottom/top of the gas holder and made an unusual sound, like when you throw a pebble on ice and it reverberates like metal sheeting. That was quite unnerving and reminded me of the fact that I was very high. The ladder only has half of a cage around it, as if it was a full cage it would interfere with the rising and falling of the gas holder itself. As a result of this you have relative safety one side of you but on the other side just pure air and open space offering a one way ticket back to the ground floor. At the top there is a walkway running the whole top of the gas holder, it is not very wide and is very very rusty just like the rest of the structure. Cut.and.cover was walking around the whole thing but I was content just to stay by the slightly wider portion next to the ladder. We snapped away and didn’t linger too long before making our way back down. I was more than happy to have my feet back on solid ground and we walked back out of the site the way we came. Another one ticked off the list.

Purley Gas 2.JPG

Cut.and.cover

Purley Gas 5.jpg

wide boi

Purley Gas 6.jpg

Romanticizing Croydon.

Purley Gas 7.jpg

Once last look before leaving.

PurleyGas.JPG

Over and out.

Thanks for reading.

Forgive the dead photos, didn’t know how to use a camera at the time.

Until Next Time​

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Just got this by email...

--------------------------------
Climbing Purley Way Gasholder

I really enjoyed your account of climbing the gas holder frame. I’m wondering now how high was it? Do you know?In the 70’s I was a trainee with the Segas radio communications department that was based in the Purley Way gasworks site. After a heavy thunderstorm my boss had me climb up the to the top of the gas holder to check for lightning damage to one of our UHF radio dishes that was up there. I climbed up with binoculars, and a two way radio and a safety harness which I clipped on the rungs every so often. As you wrote it got well hairy with the gale force wind! Coming down I gave up clipping the harness, just wanted to get down as fast as poss and my legs were trembling by the time I got down to the ground! But it was a great fun experience:) Safer for me than you, though, because the actual gasholder provided more of an enclosure for the semicircular protection ladder than you had! Hope you can get back to me on how high it was to the top - it’ll make a good yarn for my mates😀
-----------------------------

Stitch

SWC
28DL Full Member
Just got this by email...

--------------------------------
Climbing Purley Way Gasholder

I really enjoyed your account of climbing the gas holder frame. I’m wondering now how high was it? Do you know?In the 70’s I was a trainee with the Segas radio communications department that was based in the Purley Way gasworks site. After a heavy thunderstorm my boss had me climb up the to the top of the gas holder to check for lightning damage to one of our UHF radio dishes that was up there. I climbed up with binoculars, and a two way radio and a safety harness which I clipped on the rungs every so often. As you wrote it got well hairy with the gale force wind! Coming down I gave up clipping the harness, just wanted to get down as fast as poss and my legs were trembling by the time I got down to the ground! But it was a great fun experience:) Safer for me than you, though, because the actual gasholder provided more of an enclosure for the semicircular protection ladder than you had! Hope you can get back to me on how high it was to the top - it’ll make a good yarn for my mates😀
-----------------------------
Thanks for passing this on!

At a rough guess i'd say 35-45 meters high, but this is a rough guess.
Would have been great to have seen the gasworks in full swing!

Who has read this thread (Total: 231) View details