real time web analytics
Report - - Pye Bank Primary School, Sheffield - April 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pye Bank Primary School, Sheffield - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Pye Bank Primary School, one of the original Sheffield Board Schools, was designed by architects Innocent and Brown, and was opened in 1875. The buildings were unlocked on 1st December by Mrs Mark Firth in the presence of Sir John Brown, a British industrialist, and Viscount Sandon using a large golden key elegantly decorated with jewels. Over one hundred years later, Brian Bezant, a former teacher through the 1970’s to 1990’s, and headteacher from 1997, described the school as being “perched on a cliff like an eagle’s eyrie” and explained how it was initially divided into three distinct departments; one for infants, and two – which were separate – for male and female juniors. The school continued to grow alongside Sheffield’s industry as the population in Pitsmoor grew rapidly; even after it suffered severe damaged when it was bombed in December 1940. It only remained closed for five months and while the roof was repaired most of the teachers and pupils were evacuated to Lincolnshire. By the 1970’s the school had become extremely overcrowded, to the extent that mobile classrooms occupied much of the playground spaces, and several concerns were raised over the disappearing influence of the church. However, while Diocesan plans surfaced to re-establish a presence in the area, they were unsuccessful since the religious divide between pupils has already become too great. Although the Pye Bank never actually rejected its strong Christian ethos, before its closure it was reported that the school served a community that was almost entirely Muslim based.

Despite its long history, the school closed in 2003 when a new purpose-built site, which was constructed on the former site of St. Catherine’s RC Primary School, opened on Andover Street. Although the buildings are now Grade II listed, the entire school has remained abandoned since its closure, despite alleged plans to redevelop it into apartments. It is likely, if such rumours are true, that the hillside on which the school is located, which offers stunning views overlooking the city of Sheffield, helped to prompt this proposal.

As I sat waiting for my Sunday lunch to magically appear, I got bored. So, being sort of certain that I wanted to explore, but a little uncertain about what, I wandered off into the streets of Sheffield. Within minutes of venturing outside though, it rained and I got wet; but being bored I carried on. After checking out a couple of other sites and putting them on the ‘to do’ list I found myself in a little part of Sheffield I’d not been in before, and right in front of me Pye Bank Primary School; although I didn’t know that at the time. A quick glance left and right to check for prying eyes; not that I could give a shit at this point on account of my dampness, and over the wall I went. And the rest is simply history. I can’t say I expected much since most of the primary schools I’ve ever been in have all looked very similar, however, it turned out to be a decent mooch. There are still a few bits and bobs to find and most of the roof still keeps the rain out. Moreover, the place is large enough to feel a little maze-like, and there are plenty of less obvious rooms lurking throughout which require a bit of hunting around to find. Finally, for those who might be interested, Sunday dinner did indeed turn out to be awesome and was well worth the wait.

1: Pye Bank Primary School

DSC_0261a_zpsuicysd0q.jpg

2: Classroom

DSC_0026a_zpszq2mwfgg.jpg

3: Class Cabinets

DSC_0039a_zps0r0ikwuc.jpg

4: Pupil's Pegs

DSC_0040a_zpsil8g1vg0.jpg

5: Shower Room

DSC_0044a_zpsokstciwr.jpg

6: Corridor Shot

DSC_0047a_zpsxxu5kj9o.jpg

7: The Boys Bathroom

DSC_0049a_zpsvwppmu0d.jpg

8: Corridor Sinks

DSC_0050a_zps7oaslqjj.jpg

9: The Train Calender

DSC_0067a_zpsdbgs3on1.jpg

10: Whiteboard

DSC_0070a_zps8z1j0cta.jpg

11: Healthy Food Book and Spoon

DSC_0077a_zpsctk88y8b.jpg

12: Pupil's Names

DSC_0082a_zpsfsydbu54.jpg

13: Larger Classroom

DSC_0097a_zpsurmdo2k9.jpg

14: Broken Cabinets

DSC_0100a_zpstsyvcjeb.jpg

15: Store Cupboard

DSC_0114a_zpsnxby9qzl.jpg

16: The Kitchen

DSC_0123a_zpswyu28icn.jpg

17: Whiteboard in the Corridor

DSC_0148a_zpsla6avb4u.jpg

18: Hand Tree

DSC_0153a_zpsyuzewykg.jpg

19: Some Graff

DSC_0154a_zpsx5yg2kvu.jpg

20: Old Student's Work

DSC_0159a_zpshwldbv2a.jpg

21: Blackboard

DSC_0166a_zpsaxjspmmx.jpg

22: Mr Men and Little Miss Wallpaper

DSC_0179a_zpsyyf8tbqg.jpg

23: Radiator

DSC_0202a_zpsivpteqyu.jpg

24: Broken Keyboard

DSC_0215a_zpsmd8w56l8.jpg

25: Two Legends: Tom and Jerry

DSC_0021a_zpsu0yr6vzs.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never been to this part of Sheffield eh ? I can believe it mate its not the friendliest of places to say the least!.
Nice pics ;)

I was wondering how the old girl was doing a year on, especially since it got added to the locations map since it was in NP previously. I was surprised there was no Graff when I went as it's usually the Graff lads that hit the places first , especially in Sheff as you know. Seems they were late to the party for once.

I take it you didn't have any Walking Dead trying to gain access while you were inside ? Just us then lol

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Cracking stuff, what a beautiful building,
Cheers for sharing :thumb

There are a couple of school's in Sheffield that seem to follow a similar design. They're certainly nice buildings. Thanks for looking :thumb

Never been to this part of Sheffield eh ? I can believe it mate its not the friendliest of places to say the least!.
Nice pics ;)

I was wondering how the old girl was doing a year on, especially since it got added to the locations map since it was in NP previously. I was surprised there was no Graff when I went as it's usually the Graff lads that hit the places first , especially in Sheff as you know. Seems they were late to the party for once.

I take it you didn't have any Walking Dead trying to gain access while you were inside ? Just us then lol

Cheers mate. Haha. I was wandering around it thinking *I'm sure I've seen this place posted somewhere*. I see what you mean about the area, couple of dubious looking characters were loitering outside.

Nah, no Walking Dead this time. It was all quiet inside.