Web
Analytics
Report - - Qinetiq - Malvern - March 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Qinetiq - Malvern - March 2019

ZZZAP!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site has cropped up a few times in recent weeks. I was invited to come along by @Nikonlover and @UKURBEX last minute and agreed without really knowing what it was we were exploring.

The site was previously the Royal Radar Establishment and was later occupied by Qinetiq. A Defence technology company.

As mentioned by previous reports. This site is massive. There's numerous buildings dotted about all over. Didn't really struggle in accessing the ones which we did but there is a live site next door over the fence with security. So some ducking and running was sometimes required between buildings. We spent around 4 hours on site. But I imagine you could spend a lot longer. I lost count how many buildings we did enter, somewhere around 5 or 6.

A lot of the buildings are offices filled with nothing but abandoned desks and filing cabinets and if you don't know your way around. You'll enter a lot of them like we did. But the highlights are the mock bunker which is pitch black inside so bring a torch! As well as the laboratories which still have equipment left inside. As mentioned in Nikonlover's report while in the labs we spotted some people roaming around inside in military gear. We're pretty sure they did see us but bizarrely they didn't approach us. But thought it was best to leave just to be safe.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The mock-up R4 ROTOR bunker was assessed by Historic England last year. This was with a view to the building being listed. The recommendations of Historic England to the secretary of state were that the building should not be added to the list.

Last edited:

ZZZAP!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good job there, picked out the interesting bits nicely
Thank you! It was certainly interesting. If it wasn't for the gun carrying military people we spotted inside we'd have probably spent another hour there.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It's funny how this was first put up last year and nobody took any real notice of it, but suddenly its gone right into the forefront of things to do.

With the amount of traffic its had it won't be long until some morons start walking around in full view of the active stuff which will possibly make things a lot harder once they cotton on...

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
Half of this site is now gone :( they are pulling it down quite quickly. The bunker is still there, I don't know if it will be saved.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Half of this site is now gone :( they are pulling it down quite quickly. The bunker is still there, I don't know if it will be saved.
H Building or 'The Bunker' as you refer to it won't be saved. The listing application was unsuccessful. Its going to be demolished along with the rest of the remaining buildings on site. The Demolition contractor expects the site to be cleared by the end of April. A LIDAR scan of H Building's interior was carried out towards the end of last November. This was seen as an alternative to listing.