real time web analytics
Report - - Quaker Oats' Sugar Puff Factory, Southall, September 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Quaker Oats' Sugar Puff Factory, Southall, September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
The Honey Monster Factory
The Quaker Oats Company itself dates back to 1877 when established in America and the company started to grow. By 1936 the company had built the colossal factory in Southall, London(ish), focusing on the production of Sugar Puffs by their launch in 1957. Part of the factory's operation was sold to Spiller's which made pet food, with the rest going to the big bear group in 2006. The factory closed in 2016 after low sales of the cereal product the cost of operating the southall site became unprofitable even with the increased efficiency of the site.
In 2017 plans were commissioned to convert the site into residential and business use creating around 1,200 properties and complimenting the upcoming completion of the Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. These plans would use existing parts of the building complimented with newer attachments. (https://www.m3c.co.uk/projects/use-sector/mixed-use/honey-monster-factory)
The building has also been used for filming a few shows, with some remaining lights and tripods worth a fair amount left within.

The Explore
We had initially came across the factory a few months prior by accident, scouting it out setting an alarm off several times we quickly vacated as a rather confused security team approached us. About a month later we (@xplorer.x and @DustySensorPhotography ) returned and after an hour or so in a nearby derp we met with two Non-Members and headed in. After some tight squeezes, sticking random stickers on each other's back and confusion we found ourselves on the roof with the plan to work our way back down. Things went rather smoothly, starting of in the production areas and making our way into the admin blocks before leaving when the last train arrived.

The Photos

The rooftop view​

Some pipes and hoppers. I'm not even going to pretend I know what half of this does.

Definitely a conveyor belt.

Staircase.

Control Room

More Confusing stuff

More production line stuff.

Maintenance Area

Now the admin section. Most of this was full of old paper work, boxes, sugar puff packets which had gone off and were now more solid than a toyota hilux, and so on.

Laboratory.

And that's about it really. Unfortunately I couldn't find an external photos online which worked properly nor did I have any myself.

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Looks like it’s under demo, can anyone confirm this.
As far as I'm aware and from what I have seen in the last two or three months it is mostly still there. There are definitely plans for demolition but weather they have started to crack on with it or not is unknown to myself.

synchronoscope

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes demo started about three weeks ago! Annoyingly there had been several holes in the fence which got selaed before I could pay a visit :banghead

Who has read this thread (Total: 244) View details