real time web analytics
Quality Budget Cameras | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Quality Budget Cameras

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jack742

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking for a budget camera but with good sound quality and quality on footage. This camera will be used for recording and not photographs so looking for ideas

OldGit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking for a budget camera but with good sound quality and quality on footage. This camera will be used for recording and not photographs so looking for ideas
Anything Nikon or Canon that is not a current model. I use Nikon so have a look at D300s (recently sold one for very little money!) or D3300 much lighter to carry. More recent models may be better for your needs but more expensive of course. The 300s is a semi-pro; solid and feature rich. The D3300 is an amateur model but still a useful piece of kit (I have one converted to IR).

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
@Jack742 If you're looking at breaking into Video you are probably in the wrong place. The majority of 28 tends to be photos.

But if you are looking for advise on stills I can personally recommend a Canon 70D, I use this with a 10-18mm EFS. But I do still have my old 30D that I tend to use when I'm either in a damp of particularly high location.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maybe an action camera of some sort like a Go Pro would be more suited rather than a DSLR? As Gronk mentioned this forum is more focussed on photos so not the ideal place for video camera queries

Jack742

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maybe an action camera of some sort like a Go Pro would be more suited rather than a DSLR? As Gronk mentioned this forum is more focussed on photos so not the ideal place for video camera queries
I will take photos aswell ofc But mainly record as just a preference of mine to create like some nice content out of it

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
As a cheap camera for video I'd probably go with something like a canon 550d, 600d, etc... and maybe install magic lantern on it. I have a friend who's created some awesome work with just a 550d, 35mm and 50mm primes.

Probably not going to be all that great in low light, but meh..... With photographs its not as much of a problem, which is what most people on here would care about

Jack742

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As a cheap camera for video I'd probably go with something like a canon 550d, 600d, etc... and maybe install magic lantern on it. I have a friend who's created some awesome work with just a 550d, 35mm and 50mm primes.

Probably not going to be all that great in low light, but meh..... With photographs its not as much of a problem, which is what most people on here would care about

Ok thanks I’ll check them models out

Thatseo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
GoPro and drift are the leaders as you’ll know for video.

However a very versatile camera, tiny and clip on to whatever is the drift compass. The UI os it is hard to learn but once you know it, golden.

You can stream live as well with it, long battery blah blah

And cheap

AnonyMouse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Personally I wouldn't bother with a DSLR for video recording, extra bulk and weight with no advantages. The best 70D can do is 1080p/30. Get a mirrorless camera like Sony A6300 or Panasonic GH4. You'll get same or better quality stills plus great 4k/30fps and 1080p/120fps in a smaller and lighter system.. Even Panasonic LX100 (£300 on ebay) records in 4k in great quality, check some samples on youtube.

Last year I sold my full-frame Canon gear and got Fuji X-T2, I haven't looked back since.

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Personally I wouldn't bother with a DSLR for video recording, extra bulk and weight with no advantages. The best 70D can do is 1080p/30. Get a mirrorless camera like Sony A6300 or Panasonic GH4. You'll get same or better quality stills plus great 4k/30fps and 1080p/120fps in a smaller and lighter system.. Even Panasonic LX100 (£300 on ebay) records in 4k in great quality, check some samples on youtube.

Last year I sold my full-frame Canon gear and got Fuji X-T2, I haven't looked back since.

I just wouldn't bother recording video at all :rolleyes:

AnonyMouse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I just wouldn't bother recording video at all :rolleyes:

Everybody takes photos, hardly anyone makes good exploring videos. Most are a jerky, shaky mess from some cheap gopro clone showing their feet half of the time, the other half recording some nonsense about ghosts. I actually enjoy quality video reports as much as photos. :)

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Everybody takes photos, hardly anyone makes good exploring videos. Most are a jerky, shaky mess from some cheap gopro clone showing their feet half of the time, the other half recording some nonsense about ghosts. I actually enjoy quality video reports as much as photos. :)

To be fair that's probably because there's a whole extra dimension (if you can call it that) of things to take into account, on top of the usual photography knowledge. The ones trying to make the videos are usually the ones that can't take a photo for shit, so they've got no hope.... the best they can do is stick their camera on auto, hit the record button and talk shit for half an hour

Steven Crighton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To be fair that's probably because there's a whole extra dimension (if you can call it that) of things to take into account, on top of the usual photography knowledge. The ones trying to make the videos are usually the ones that can't take a photo for shit, so they've got no hope.... the best they can do is stick their camera on auto, hit the record button and talk shit for half an hour

You have a Gopro strapped to your helmet haha!

hoix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you're mainly recording, a decent mirrorless such as an a6300 or gx85, which can record in 4k60 or 1080p120, and take some good shots, although not on the level of a DSLR but by no means bad.