real time web analytics
Information - - Quarry 'Caves' of Ticknall | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Quarry 'Caves' of Ticknall

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ConstantCaver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's a long history of limestone quarrying in Ticknall, on the south Derbyshire/North Leicestershire border, and just north of Calke Abbey, this has resulted in some pretty interesting scenery and a selection of small limestone mines which, until they started collapsing, were known as a picnic spot and at least one (possibly several) were called 'The Dripping Well'.

I went out armed with a map of the limeyards I'd downloaded back in April, and walked round some of the more obscure quarries until I found some caves that I'd previously only seen on a climbing website. They're not at all unknown, but they're not well known, and going into them is certainly not something the National Trust encourages (which is as good a reason to go in as any).

Not far away are a couple of cut and cover tunnels which were part of the tramway, and have been restored recently. A nice little subterranean morning, and no entry fees required!

I've attached my annotated map, if anyone wants to go have a wander.

Attachments

• Ticknall Caves Map.pdf
    743.4 KB · Views: 58

ConstantCaver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Second try... No, not sure what's going on here...

Attachments

• Ticknall Caves Map.pdf
    743.4 KB · Views: 31

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey, can you PM me the information please? Haven't heard of this one and not too far from me! Tend to do more cave exploring in the peaks than the southern derbyshire borders.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do you know the extent of underground workings and how much are accessible, there is a map of the original workings on that link and it seems to have been an extensive mine at some point, its just how much remains and how much is collapsed now.

I may make a visit and scope the workings myself before the weather turns and it becomes too cold and wet to go trampling through the undergrowth looking for access points :)

Invisi17

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm really sorry I don't even know why it messaged that, I was wanting to ask if you fancied messaging me where this location is as I'd love to visit been exploring for a while now and looking for new places to go, I'd really appreciate it thanks

xXJORDYXx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh I’ve been here loads of times as a kid I used to ride MTB Trails in the area and Lived In Ashby many years.

It’s nothing special in my Opinion as far as urban exploration. It’s not a tunnel or Cave it’s a rock Shelter. You also have to be careful of the lakes surrounding it I do know there are ownerd by a syndicate so could be told to leave.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I had a wander around it the other week and there is only bits where they undercut some rock. Can't find any evidence of underground work.