real time web analytics
Report - - Queen Alexandra Dock Crane, Cardiff | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Queen Alexandra Dock Crane, Cardiff

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

snappel

BMW 4 LIFE
28DL Full Member
Originally built for the Great Western Railway, this crane was first situated next to the Commercial Dry Dock Cardiff. It had been built by the Bath-based company Stothert & Pitt in 1933, was electric-powered and could lift a maximum of 15 tons.

Although originally intended for use on ship-repair duties, the crane was moved to the north side of the Queen Alexandra Dock in 1970. Subsequently it found many uses, such as lifting heavy appliances and loading scrap metal cargoes. A nationwide reduction in shipping led to many docks being closed. Consequently this crane was no-longer needed after January 1987 and so was decommissioned. Thankfully it was saved from the cutter's torch, being presented to the South Glamorgan County Council in 1988 by Associated British Ports.

Climbed last week. I was recce-ing things 'for later', but thought what the hell, dock cranes should be done in daylight. I have to say, it was the sketchiest, rustiest load of wood/metal powder I've ever had the nerve to climb.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

matchstick

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I take it the barbed wire wasn't a hindrance, or has that been fitted post your visit?