real time web analytics
Report - - Queen Victoria Works, Jute Mill Dundee | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Queen Victoria Works, Jute Mill Dundee

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with OT, Snappel and Turkey.

The Queen Victoria works has had a long and interesting history. Some of this has been revealed by a tatty old book I found in another smallscale Scotland Jute mill.

The front office building looks odd to be the admin for a mill... it was in fact a public house at one point in time, and the mill kind of spilled over into it! Sadly it is littl more tahn a burned out shell now, and I would think beyond saving...

The mill began it's life as Lower Pleasance mill, changing it's name in the hype of the Queen's diamond Jubilee in the 1880's. It is of typical construction, with huge wooden roofed weaving sheds. With the lead missing from the troughs at the bottom of the eaves, the water has rotted these great roofs, and many are now lying on the floor... this makes exploring the mill both interesting and dangerous!

Decay, water damage and a whole lot of vandalish have left the works in a right old state, but the detail is there to be found if one will take the time to look...

I was uptairs in the offices, and noticed what appeared to be a pill box on the roof of the stone built shed. With a bit of exploration we found it, and sure enough it is of pill box construction, prob a fire watcher's post. A nice remnant from wartime...

ss16of20.jpg

ss20of20.jpg

ss19of20.jpg

ss18of20.jpg

ss17of20.jpg

ss15of20.jpg

ss14of20.jpg

ss13of20.jpg

ss12of20.jpg

ss11of20.jpg

ss10of20.jpg

ss9of20.jpg

ss8of20.jpg

ss7of20.jpg

ss6of20.jpg

ss5of20.jpg

ss4of20.jpg

ss3of20.jpg

ss2of20.jpg

ss1of20.jpg

Lorraine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sounds about right to me, I swear that's all they ever want to do these days.