real time web analytics
Report - - Queen's Theatre, Stoke-on-Trent - November 2020 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Queen's Theatre, Stoke-on-Trent - November 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Queen’s Theatre was originally commissioned to be new Burslem town hall but after the federation of the six towns took place in 1910 to create the city of Stoke-on-Trent its original purpose as a town hall became obsolete. The building was designed by architects Russell & Cooper and upon its completion in 1911 became a performance venue, originally known as the ‘Queens Hall’. The foundation stone was laid by Alderman Sydney Malkin.

The theatre closed for a time in 1998 due to requiring repairs but after change of leaseholder in 2002 held occasional events from 2003 to 2014. It is currently ‘mothballed’ with no concrete plans for its future currently in place. There was some paperwork lying around inside marked ‘Development Opportunity’ so hopefully something will happen soon.
This is the last post on the official Facebook page for the theatre from back in 2017… Strangely prophetic!

This was a bit of a spur of the moment visit during darkness, so some of the photos may have ‘interesting’ lighting and sharpness, so sorry for that! Hopefully @raisinwing will post some more representational daylight shots up some time soon!

Visited with @oldboots @raisinwing and @Humpa

On with some slightly ropey pictures...

External lifted from the Stoke Sentinel since I didn't take one. It looks the same currently but minus the scaff on the right hand side.

Auditorium

Why there was a random science lab in one of the rooms I cannot say

Thanks for looking

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Photos came out well mate!

I've tracked down the reasoning behind the laboratories existing, the right hand side of the building the "Princes Hall" was used by the local college for many years up until around 2003 - that side of the building has been more or less disused since that point due to the ongoing roof issues that have never been properly fixed.

The whole place was put up for sale in the last year or so, but since then I've not heard anything. Given what's happened to more or less any other derelict site around Stoke I don't think the future is all that rosy for this place which is a shame as the theatre is in very good condition and overall it's a superb building. As Speed say "Standard Stoke" - it's majorly depressing!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice. I love the art work on boxes and the ornate ceilings. The signage. Its all great. Photos are good, nothing wrong with those. :thumb

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've tracked down the reasoning behind the laboratories existing, the right hand side of the building the "Princes Hall" was used by the local college for many years up until around 2003 - that side of the building has been more or less disused since that point due to the ongoing roof issues that have never been properly fixed.

The whole place was put up for sale in the last year or so, but since then I've not heard anything. Given what's happened to more or less any other derelict site around Stoke I don't think the future is all that rosy for this place which is a shame as the theatre is in very good condition and overall it's a superb building. As Speed say "Standard Stoke" - it's majorly depressing!

Interesting! I did wonder what the Princes side was used for in it's later time.

Wish I'd had a better nosey at the development opportunity paperwork to be honest

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice. Was only in stoke yesterday wish we had of known.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Total sods law something this beautiful crops up just before we go into lockdown again!

Who has read this thread (Total: 422) View details