real time web analytics
Report - - Queensbury Railway Tunnel. West Yorkshire :) July 2016 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Queensbury Railway Tunnel. West Yorkshire :) July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one m8ty and good to see ya back. Some good shots you grabbed from here ... See ya soon.

Cheers Mate :thumb You could have come but were too busy with the Scooby Gang :eek:

Very pretty <3

Are you flirting with me Mrs ;) Thanks babes :thumb

Awesome as usual Mr. Flux.

I wouldn"t go that far, but thanks very much mate :thumb

Thanks to everyone that"s commented on the report, as usual it"s appreciated :D

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very good photographs & thread, :thumb
was nice revisiting but wasn't expecting 2 collapses.

Cheers mate :thumb

Was an interesting time inside, now i can work the 4Gas out o_O (better than that bloody :turd Cinema )

Were there only 2 collapses :eek:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Regarding the possible "Blocking up" of Queensbury Tunnel around the collapsing areas & airshafts. Thackley Railway tunnel has currently just had a 2nd section of tunnel reinforced by creating 2 block walls and pumping grout into the void & airshaft section. So it"d be quite easy to do exactly the same at Queensbury i"d suggest & it"s possibly on the cards already ??

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Update
According to the Queensbury Tunnel Action Group (who seem to have ignored any recent pictures of the Tunnel being on the Internet for all to see. Even though people have mentioned them on the Facebook etc pages) the extortionate price for re-opening the Tunnel of £35Million is @ 10x more than the newly estimated cost of £3.5Million (allegedly)
Which ironically is the same amount that was banded about for repairing and sealing the Tunnel up by the powers that be !

Why they are still showing pictures from circa 2012 with the Tunnel part flooded rather than the recent ones actually showing the extent of the collapse"s etc could be debatable> Anyone would think they don"t want the Public to know the true condition of the Tunnel ;)

NevilleHill

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Update
According to the Queensbury Tunnel Action Group (who seem to have ignored any recent pictures of the Tunnel being on the Internet for all to see. Even though people have mentioned them on the Facebook etc pages) the extortionate price for re-opening the Tunnel of £35Million is @ 10x more than the newly estimated cost of £3.5Million (allegedly)
Which ironically is the same amount that was banded about for repairing and sealing the Tunnel up by the powers that be !

Why they are still showing pictures from circa 2012 with the Tunnel part flooded rather than the recent ones actually showing the extent of the collapse"s etc could be debatable> Anyone would think they don"t want the Public to know the true condition of the Tunnel ;)
The price for repairing the tunnel is actually £2.8 million. This has been developed by a team of engineers and contractors who do a lot of work for Network Rail. "The powers that be" intend to spend about £3 million sealing it up, but they haven't decided how to do it yet so that figure is guesswork. If you download the new engineering report (available on the Queensbury Tunnel website), you'll see photos of ALL the major defects (not just the two collapses) and details of how they can be sorted out. The campaign group is actually being very open about the "true condition" of the tunnel.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The price for repairing the tunnel is actually £2.8 million. This has been developed by a team of engineers and contractors who do a lot of work for Network Rail. "The powers that be" intend to spend about £3 million sealing it up, but they haven't decided how to do it yet so that figure is guesswork. If you download the new engineering report (available on the Queensbury Tunnel website), you'll see photos of ALL the major defects (not just the two collapses) and details of how they can be sorted out. The campaign group is actually being very open about the "true condition" of the tunnel.

Thanks for joining just for the update @NevilleHill.......Could be worse you could have chosen Holbeck i suppose ;)

Nice to see something finally appearing/updating on the site at last. Not before time i may add. lets see what develops & changes once the Winter splits a few more sections of Tunnel lining :thumb

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not sure which tunnel reopening appeal is more bonkers....Queensbury or Rhondda?

£35 million for a cycle tunnel from nowhere to nowhere, on a tunnel that encountered continuous problems from the start of construction and ended up filled with 15 million litres of murky soup, with dangerously weakened shafts close to built up areas (that would need to somehow be repaired to prevent cyclists flopping off their bikes from low oxygen levels).
The purported benefits sound like good-naturwishful thinking: "It would, as the England's (sic) longest reused railway tunnel, attract visitors from far afield", "It would make it one of the most spectacular foot/cycle paths anywhere in the country", etc. Because people visit the Yorkshire countryside to cycle through a damp hole in the ground for a mile and a half?
The best bit is that much of the support has come from Queensbury village, despite the fact that the tunnel would allow cyclists, tourists etc to bypass their village entirely... :D

Looking at these latest snaps, I think the £35,000,000 figure sounds more realistic than £3,500,000.

Cracking pics though, I would've chickened out and done a 180 at the first big collapse :O

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the comments ;)

Yeah I must admit it certainly wouldn't be high on my choice of Tunnels to try and revive that's for sure.
I've visited lots of old Railway Tunnels in fantastic condition (considering some have been potentially left too collapse in some locations) picturesque locations that would benefit from being re-opened and bring money too the areas concerned. This as you say would bypass Queensbury itself negating any benefits too the community

Although others obviously have put a more positive spin on it. But they did that for Brexit and look how that's turning out for us .

I must admit that i've yet to see anyone on the Cycle Trails around here in all my visits to the area over the last 3 years or so . A few over the Viaducts but thats it .Maybe it's because they need a Tunnel lol

If they do this I think they should also open the Keighly spur , Wells Head Tunnel through into Hammer Hill Tunnel through Denholme and the others into Keighley making it lan extensive route like the Monsail Trail

And also opening up Clayton Tunnel . It'd be more interesting riding past the remains of the Weed factory and then popping back into the daylight through someone's back garden vegetable patch :D

We shall see what happens

Oh and I had to carry on @stranton had slipped his leash again after seeing something shiny in the distance (Palisade) I had to go & retrieve him as he has a habit of throwing himself onto it :eek:
True story ;)