real time web analytics
Question - - Question about Petrol/Kerosene/Acetylene Lamps | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Question about Petrol/Kerosene/Acetylene Lamps

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a warm underground lamp, hoping for suggestions / recommendations on what to look for.

The options are gasoline, paraffin/kerosene, propane, or acetylene. I'd optimally like one with the following attributes:

- good (>5 hours) lighting duration
- robust
- wind- and somewhat drip-proof
- doesn't require an odyssey to find fuel or spare parts
- won't kill me with fumes or excessively rancid-stink up enclosed spaces
- not too heavy (3-4kg max) and not too big (I have no idea how big these things are)
- won't cost me an arm and a leg (ideally I'd like a reasonable-condition used one, so I'm looking around on ebay).

I looked at my local camping store and on Amazon for Coleman lamps, and can't get a feel for what single/dual mantle, dual fuel, etc. mean.

I also get the impression that acetylene lamps are kind of hard to find and buy fuel for.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
They will all kill you in a enclosed space with carbone monoxide but the worst smelling is carbide,
I like carbide lamps just the glow and warmth also depends where you are for how hard the fuel is to get,
Only issue with carbide lamps is you have to keep them clean which can be a pain,
Every paraffin lamp ive seen has been dull and not very bright but ive only seen a few,Id get a petzl caving headlamp with a stainless generator lasts for years and is bloody cheap you can get both for less than £40.

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
I'm getting a headlamp anyway. But it's useless for the kind of underground shots I like - I mainly need a headlamp to see where I'm going, I have two amazing 1000L torches for lighting shit up like crazy but they're impractical to keep in your hands all the time.

We had both a propane and a gasoline one recently, and the light from both was brilliant - far far far nicer than what I get with any LED or incandescent bulbs + fucking around with white balance.

No, I definitely want a camping lantern, just trying to figure out which is best.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
I'm getting a headlamp anyway. But it's useless for the kind of underground shots I like - I mainly need a headlamp to see where I'm going, I have two amazing 1000L torches for lighting shit up like crazy but they're impractical to keep in your hands all the time.

We had both a propane and a gasoline one recently, and the light from both was brilliant - far far far nicer than what I get with any LED or incandescent bulbs + fucking around with white balance.

No, I definitely want a camping lantern, just trying to figure out which is best.

Id have one of the french carbide latterns but im sold on carbide i love the stuff just the way its warm and the glow etc but ive never used a propane lattern so dont know how bright they are but surely if they are bright it must be the easiest as gas is easy to get and clean to burn.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've got brand new carbide lamps for sale. PM me if you're interested, I haven't had time to put up a thread or pictures yet.