real time web analytics
Question regarding a camera | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question regarding a camera

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ben - Northern Ireland

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was looking to get a cannon EOS 2000D and I went I to a camera store today and I asked a guy would he was completely against the camera for taking photos of abandoned places, so that's why I'm here asking for options from people who know there cameras and who also do abandoned / urban to get a true opinion on the matter as for all I know that guy might just not like cannon or might now knock as much as someone who as has experience with this cam.

Thankyou for the help it means alot for anyone that decided todo so

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Did he say why it was no good for this hobby and did he recommend something else?

Whats your budget and do you want it mostly for pictures or video?

The 2000d is almost a rebadged 1300d with a bit more resolution.

Im certainly no expert but the 2000d seems to be their entry level camera with price to match, to get something considerably noticeably better you're going to be over £1500 I would think.

I presume you don't have any existing lenses you're wanting to use?

Mirrorless cameras are at least 4x the cost for example but you could look in the used market and get something better than the cannon.

Something like a used nikon d7200 with a couple of lenses should be affordable especially now its discontinued.

Im sure some of our resident experts will guide you further and better.
The section below this one is the camera section and you'll find lots of simular threads giving great advice.
Dont be afraid of going looking at and trying a used camera on ebay for example, with people always upgrading or giving up especially with covid around dropping peoples income there's some great deals to be had.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
The first DSLR I took exploring was a Canon 400D with the kit lens, at the time it would have been their entry level camera, never had any issues with it and still happy with the photos I took with it. A bit more knowledge on how to take photos in a low light environment at the time and I'd have got many more good ones.

Not sure how much experience the shop guy will have had taking photos in abandoned places, always dubious of the level of knowledge of people working in the chain stores.

I'd say any camera is more than capable of taking reasonable photos in abandoned places as long as you have some idea how to use it. One way to get a better camera for the price is to buy second hand, there's quite a few reputable shops out there you can buy online. I've bought a few lenses from MPB and never had any issues. Many photographers look after their kit and part exchange when they upgrade.

Jack430T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had a canon 600d to start with many years ago, its decent enough to get you going with photography and the basics of dslr use. However if your looking to shoot abandoned places I highly recommend a Tripod without having to push the ISO up to ridiculous levels.. Depending on how big your budget is then you may want to look at cheap full frames such as a Canon 6D, this will allow you in the future to add larger wide angle lenses if needed without any cropping from the sensor.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The first DSLR I took exploring was a Canon 400D with the kit lens, at the time it would have been their entry level camera, never had any issues with it and still happy with the photos I took with it. A bit more knowledge on how to take photos in a low light environment at the time and I'd have got many more good ones.

My lad took light trail shot the other night with exactly that combo, with a bit of tweaking it came out as good as the ones I was taking on my 7Dmk2 with tokina lens.

The only disadvantage for exploring (& the one thing I would make sure a camera had) is the live view mode

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Any DSLR can do incredibly well as the main requirement is exposure and tripod stability, if you're on a budget get something used maybe off mpb.com, I started with a 650d which is a good idea for lens comparability, now got an 80d and somewhat regret it, more features and buttons make stuff more complicated
8ve been tempted at some mirrorless cameras, some of my favourite urbex photos come from them

Mr.Gobsy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm using an old Sony Alpha 200 DSLR and am still getting some reasonably decent images. Whilst its not as good as the newer cameras it also is a bit simpler to run and less expensive to drop.

As agree with the above comment, have a good stable platform for longer exposure images is key, I'd suggest maybe investing in a decent tripod and a lower range camera.

I've previously borrowed a colleagues EOS 5d M2 FFS, very high quality images but the key component isn't the camera, that's just the last thing that matter.s