real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - R.A.F Driffield. A cautious warning | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) R.A.F Driffield. A cautious warning

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Thor873

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As some of you know I first visited RAF Driffield with the company that own it (Strawsons Property LTD). I sent off an email this morning to get permission to go up again for a college project. This is usually okay as they trust me from the first time so I know that this is a warning especially for the fact that they don't go up themselves much any more.
But a few moments later I received an email back.
Please take this seriously.

"I am sorry but we are not able to allow access to anyone on health and safety grounds as the building s continue to deteriorate and are inherently dangerous."

I presume this won't be because of the buildings themselves as they will last for many years to come I hope. I think it is more to do with the fibreglass matting that's in them and the other dangerous parts of them that aren't safe such as the old housing estate.
I know this is going to cause a large debate upon RAF Driffield supporters but I'm not sure whether to visit still or not.
-Thor 873

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Most derelict buildings are dangerous....it just comes with the territory of exploring really!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been there many times and never had any trouble at all, its down to common sense not taking silly risks etc etc its true as Six says all derelict buildings are dangerous just be careful.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don't think it's an issue at all, I doubt anything has changed except for they don't want to take on any liability. Those damn exploring websites probably pissed them off a bit as well.

AlanW

28DL Member
28DL Member
A major issue is public liability insurance, in the event of someone getting inside and e.g. contracting asbestosis from old pipe lagging in the boiler room, or falling down a hole, or getting tetanus from rusty barbed wire, the landowners could be held liable. Our culture of blame & claim litigation is the cause...

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
When you're exploring you rely on your common sense and take full responsibility for being wherever you are. If I fell through a dodgy floor, that's my fault and that's really the end of it.

AlanW

28DL Member
28DL Member
You could shrug off any mishaps yourself and limp off home again, that's true, but otherwise there is no public liability waiver with the property owners. They aren’t to know that some serious or fatal accident won’t befall a trespasser (or some kids, say) and some ambulance-chasing lawyers or the HSE won’t go gunning after them for failing in their duty of care to keep people out of the property. It’s just a simple point of law. If however they decide to show tour parties around the site, then it's at their risk not yours, but they will have assessed the risks and be insured against them. Not that I’m against anyone exploring the old RAF base where I was born though! :)