real time web analytics
Report - - R.A.F Grafton Underwood - September 2013 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - R.A.F Grafton Underwood - September 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The devil child

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have only see 1 report on this place going back a few years and they never covered 1 of the main buildings, Now most of the buildings have been destroyed or have fallen down and is in quite a bad state. The airfield opened up in 1941 housing many bomber groups from the RAF Bomber Command 1653 and the USAAF groups the 15th Bombardment Squadron (Light), the 96th Bombardment Group (Heavy), the 97th Bombardment Group (Heavy), the 305th Bombardment Group (Heavy) and the 384th Bombardment Group (Heavy). After the war, Grafton Underwood was used for vehicle storage with No. 236 Maintenance Unit employing up to two hundred civilian drivers and mechanics. The unit at the airfield repaired and stored thousands of Air Ministry vehicles which were sold at monthly public auctions. The airfield was finally declared surplus to requirements and closed on 1 February 1959. Since then its been left to ruins there is a part which is still lived with out houses and remaining buildings intact, This still has a lot to see even in its current state its like a big urbex hunt around the acers of land in which it once stood, Now the land belongs to the Boughton estate and is open as a country park for the public and there is also airsoft days held there which was obvious by the smoke grenades and paintballs laying around 1 of the main buildings left standing. Me and another 28DL member FaZy UK both purchased new DSLR cameras on the same day so both eager to try them out chose this as the perfect place :) sorry about some quality of the pics as its a new camera and i am still getting used to the settings and running it manually

The main water tank and pump house still stands though the pumps are no longer there some of the pipework remains
_DSC0052.gif

View attachment 560705

View attachment 560706

View attachment 560707

View attachment 560708

View attachment 560709

View attachment 560710

this is the biggest and probaly the best part left the operations room in which they planned their attacks
View attachment 560711

View attachment 560712

View attachment 560713

View attachment 560714

View attachment 560715

View attachment 560716

View attachment 560717

View attachment 560718

This is the Station Battle HQ which houses 5 rooms all underground
View attachment 560719

View attachment 560720

View attachment 560721

View attachment 560722

This is a mere 3 buildings this place has to offer its huge and like i said its a urbex treasure hunt with so much to see all you have to do is find everything sorry about some picture quality its a new camera and im getting used to settings.

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited: