real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Brampton, Cambridgeshire, 27 JAN 2018 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Brampton, Cambridgeshire, 27 JAN 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheUrbanLurker

28DL Member
28DL Member
After spending the day scouting the potential target to then fail miserable stumbling across that butch looking guy with the soft, cuddly looking Shep that possibly wasn't that soft and cuddly. BUSTED at that point!!!!! Time to go. The dreaded walk of shame down to the main gate followed by our new friends. Disapointed to say the least. The cold wet walk back to car then at that point you realise you've lost the fresh deck of previously purchased half time smokes!!! Cameras loaded time to go home and sulk.

Then on that drive home you stumble across the little glimpse of hope. Officers Mess Hall
This is my first post but not my last, so go easy on me..

Camebridgeshire Grade II listed 1821-1822 partially rebuilt in 1907 due to fire damage and finally refurbished early 80s.

Interior: the early plan form is legible and although interior fixtures and fittings of that date are few, the first-floor Pump Room with its domed, gilded ceiling and casement windows with shutters is a notable survival. In 1863, the house became an institution for the treatment of people with speech impediments and remained little changed until the eastern half of the building was destroyed by fire in 1907. Although sympathetically rebuilt, the gothic detailing was not replicated after the fire, and the current building is considerably smaller than the early house. Most of the other buildings and structures built as part of the estate no longer remain. One arm of the wall garden survives and incorporates brickwork. Elements of the designed landscape including some of the early garden terrace walls have been incorporated into the layout, but the pleasure gardens and parkland have been considerably altered. During World War I the camp housed German prisoners of war. At the end of hostilities, the house was restored to Lord Mandeville, who let it for domestic use. During World War II the house was used caring for about 100 babies evacuated from London.

MATERIALS: Principally of red brick laid in Flemish bond at the rebuilt east end with sections of yellow and pink brick walling at the west and south elevations. There are occasional stone dressings. The roofs have tile coverings.

PLAN: A rectangular range aligned east west with cross wings and advancing gables at each end.

EXTERIOR: The house has twelve window bays, including three to each cross wing. The main range has a gable roof, with a number of brick ridge stacks, some with stone dressings. The cross wings have hipped roofs with advancing gables to the south and north. There are saw-tooth brick cornices at the eaves and a crenellated parapet punctuated by pediments, each with a central turret finial. There are turret finials at the corners of the wings. The recessed centre of building has an external chimney stack, with two round, elongated pots of moulded brickwork rising from a corbelled plinth. Below this are two traceried panels on the face of stack, which then gradually tapers to ground level. The chimney is flanked by a number of casements in varying styles, those to the west retaining dripstone moulds. Off-centre to the east is an early entrance with a moulded architrave, quoins and shallow hood above. The double, timber panelled door has a round arched fanlight with glazing bars above

please enjoy
27536659_984522675020340_1597258567_o.jpg
27605727_984522671687007_1851851340_o.jpg
27535954_984522681687006_1011539628_o.jpg
U
27537436_984522678353673_1879702896_o.jpg
27653449_984522685020339_1115643371_o.jpg
27605865_984522668353674_220741251_o.jpg

Last edited:

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, can you add the name and location (general area is fine) of the building and maybe a bit of history?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice shots. But Im not sure why youve titled this that way. You have clearly done a great deal of research on the place so very well done. If it were my report, id title it correctly, county, and date. I know youve included it in the report, but its just the rules of 28dls.

But apart from that, great shots, very good angles and great write up :thumb