real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bunkers in and around Longridge - 26-7-2016 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bunkers in and around Longridge - 26-7-2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZF1637

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So today I visited three disused RAF bunkers in Longridge, Lancashire. Just outside Preston.

RAF Longley Lane SOC Communications Bunker
History from Subbrit
The Communications bunker for the Rotor Sector Operations Centre at RAF Longley Lane is located on the west side of a farm track on the west side of the M6. The other, more well known buildings, that made up RAF Longley Lane SOC are located on the east side of the M6. The 'ops' block is in Langley Lane and later served as the ROC 21 Group HQ. The site is now occupied by a vet's surgery although the bunker is unused. The filter room and stand-by set house are in Whittingham Lane and are both unused although the filter room was sold by auction in 2000.

27946840643_0b96331a9d_b.jpg

The road that lead up to both entrances on the left hand side

28484437681_be7c6f5f0d_b.jpg

The largest entrance, and the easiest to get into is the vehicle/plant entrance, nowadays the owner of the farm uses it for vehicle storage

28484432521_1d777886e4_b.jpg

The main corridor of the site, pretty chilly in here, my wife wasn't impressed

28562265655_89c5499139_b.jpg

The plant room, the concrete slabs are still in place on the floor where the machinery used to be, now filled with old filing cabinets and drawers
28484424561_d1c911c7dc_b.jpg

27946814423_cd68838d14_b.jpg

28278324590_f7354b4fbf_b.jpg

Hopefully that used to say Rest Room

28278310420_a244ceb362_b.jpg

28529912316_1b74fcf51e_b.jpg

28529917396_20c90fbbce_b.jpg
The personnel entrance contained this small electrical cabinet, nothing of particular interest in there unfortunately.

28455677232_2bc9f37b2f_b.jpg

The extremely overgrown personnel entrance.

The second bunker I have no pictures of, as it's been sold to a monitoring company who have seriously upped the security, I've requested access so hopefully I'll be able to get in soon.

And finally, the last, and largest bunker, which was owned by a very angry, secretive fella.
The filter block
28484393381_f98392f60b_b.jpg

28455665122_39634da2da_b.jpg

These are the only two photos I managed to get of this place, I went inside and met the owner, explained that I was interested in the site and asked if I could take a few pictures, he replied by basically chasing me and my wife off the site. Whilst I was in there I saw the main operations room, absolutely huge and he seems to have transformed it into a communist/nazi temple, with huge poster on the walls and banners hanging from the gantry.

Anyway, it was an interesting day, hope you guys enjoy the report

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
, I went inside and met the owner, explained that I was interested in the site and asked if I could take a few pictures, he replied by basically chasing me and my wife off the site.
Sounds like you must of met the Elwyn of the site...

FormerlyRAFfilterBlock

28DL Member
28DL Member
"And finally, the last, and largest bunker, which was owned by a very angry, secretive fella. I went inside and met the owner, explained that I was interested in the site and asked if I could take a few pictures, he replied by basically chasing me and my wife off the site. Whilst I was in there I saw the main operations room, absolutely huge and he seems to have transformed it into a communist/nazi temple, with huge poster on the walls and banners hanging from the gantry.
Anyway, it was an interesting day, hope you guys enjoy the report"

Well, as the owner of this bunker, I would like to put my side of the story across.
My wife and I with our daughter intend to convert this building into a single residence. The planning signs are clear on the outside perimeter fence. On this day I was inside the building, tidying up for the visit of the council planning officer the following day, when I was alerted to the fact that someone was inside and wanted to speak to me. This shocked me, as the gate was firmly closed and is difficult to get past without reaching inside to lift the bolt to enable it to be pushed open. The photo shows an open entrance, however this photo was taken from well inside the perimeter (of our private land) and far from the gate opening which was near my vehicle, unguarded and open. Immediately a gentleman with large camera slung round his neck pointing at me said "Hi, I'm in the Army" then proceeded to flash some form of ID badge at me so quickly it was impossible to read, then followed up with "I'm interested in this building and just thought I'd ask if I could wander around and take some pictures".
My reply was short and to the point "Absolutely not!" then he replied, "well thought I should ask first" before turning round and walking back the way he presumably came. His wife was stood at the top of the entrance right next to my open van and joined her husband on the walk back across the car park and out onto the lane.
I ask, If someone pushed past your gate, took a photo in your driveway of your house, then one inside and then wandered round your house before asking to take more pictures, before uploading the photos on a public website and then describing you as very angry and secretive(I was in my own home minding my own business) and describing an imaginary communist/nazi temple...I do not think you would be impressed, in fact, you are lucky I did not call the Police.
With regards to your comments about a communist/nazi temple. I suggest you remove this nonsense as it is not only offensive to my family and untrue, it is libellous and damaging, just like your visit.
We have recorded your visit and do not want you to come again. Not only was I shocked, but my wife was shaken and very upset (nervous for the well being of our daughter, stranger danger)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Indeed there are always 2 sides too every story.........if not more ? You"re lucky you knew where to come and look for a report to be posted up.

TBH it all sounds very dramatic from your point of view especially the "Stranger Danger" part :rolleyes: which i fail to understand ? (as i"m led to believe children are more at risk from people they know ?) but you asked him to leave & he did which is what"s supposed to happen. I doubt the Police would bother but you have the right to call them if you feel the need, as does everyone else including Trespasser"s that feel threatened or intimidated by landowners or their agents!

I"d also add over saturation of pics onto your complaints list ;)

Nightjar

28DL Member
28DL Member
Shame it was bought as private dwellung there was a open viewing from Longridge Estate agent some years earlier access was easy via the shutter doors not much in there apart from Russian aircraft identification posters and remnants of a kitchen