real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Church Fenton - Tadcaster - 2015 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Church Fenton - Tadcaster - 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Construction of the airfield began in 1936 and on April 1 1937 RAF Church Fenton opened for business with No. 71 Squadron and the Gloster Gladiator.

Gg3LOAe.jpg

World War Two brought plenty of action to the area and RAF Church Fenton served within the Defence network of fighter bases protecting the industrial regions of Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Humberside. In 1940 Eagle Squadron began flying the Hawker Hurricane from here and the base also became home to the first Canadian and Polish squadrons. In the same year the first Night Fighter Operational Training Unit was established here and stayed until 1942.

After the war the base became one of the first to receive the newest, shiniest jet aircraft available, becoming home to the Gloster Meteor and Hawker Hunter.

As with many airfields RAF Church Fenton was to settle into postwar life well and establish a successful flight training school and from 1998 - 2003 became the main RAF Elementary Flying Training School. The busy skies surrounding the base were not to last forever, as of December 2013 all units were relocated and RAF Church Fenton closed.

The site was sold and parts have successfully been developed into a private flying school and airport. A large amount of the old camp remains derelict.

I have always really enjoyed visiting these kind of places, this one was a particular favourite though. I visited several times from 2015 through to summer 2017. The last time I was here it looked like the land was being cleared in preparation for new builds. I might be wrong on that though.

This is the part closest to the live section of the airfield

hSUc2c0.jpg

lQPNdE4.jpg

Into the kitchens and dining area

iL1aW2p.jpg

brchXbE.jpg

jvwMVFB.jpg

NbFmwT5.jpg

Shop

6VRvuk3.jpg

XntOYfS.jpg

c4DCL6K.jpg

Accomodation

gYdjTbz.jpg

GuOKH4Q.jpg

nL2GLSH.jpg

Misc

AQCux3a.jpg

pjjuGGh.jpg

hReHfP3.jpg

Medical

SfVHm9E.jpg

D6XuYaS.jpg

jZ5kdFu.jpg

Water Tower

adnw1bl.jpg

5CYgGTT.jpg

dZHfBem.jpg

hCHHDWY.jpg

The big old generator

kOswZBC.jpg

Thanks for looking​

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
Brilliant! Need to make my way to this one. Doubt I'll see the owl though.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice report. Some good decay here, isn’t there? Nice owl too - derp nature is always good. Always wonder what they make of us creeping about with our cameras.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Brilliant! Need to make my way to this one. Doubt I'll see the owl though.

Nice report. Some good decay here, isn’t there? Nice owl too - derp nature is always good. Always wonder what they make of us creeping about with our cameras.

It's a nice relaxed place to visit for sure. There was plenty to see too.

Regarding the owl - it was freaking out obviously. We managed to rescue it and set it free.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent report and write up mate. I loved it here the decay is spot on really photogenic. Looks like it’s getting smashed up and graff writers have made their mark too.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Excellent report and write up mate. I loved it here the decay is spot on really photogenic. Looks like it’s getting smashed up and graff writers have made their mark too.

Thanks mate. Yes over the course of 3-4 visits I noticed much more damage. On one occasion we bumped into some hipsters looking for somewhere to set of coloured smoke grenades.

Paulxsplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Scrap lads have been in now it's fucked. I had a walk rand other week. Bobbys soon turned up. Must of been spotted by a neighbour..

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Scrap lads have been in now it's fucked. I had a walk rand other week. Bobbys soon turned up. Must of been spotted by a neighbour..

I suppose it was inevitable it would be destroyed eventually.

I’m surprised the 5-0 turned up.
We were careful up the water tower as it’s very close to the live bits but I’ve never had any issues any of the times I’ve visited.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I suppose it was inevitable it would be destroyed eventually.

I’m surprised the 5-0 turned up.
We were careful up the water tower as it’s very close to the live bits but I’ve never had any issues any of the times I’ve visited.

Of all the places I’ve put reports up on this place is, for some reason, by far the one that I get the most messages about asking for access info, so I’m guessing the constant stream of people makes neighbours fairly nervous!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Of all the places I’ve put reports up on this place is, for some reason, by far the one that I get the most messages about asking for access info, so I’m guessing the constant stream of people makes neighbours fairly nervous!

I’ve never been one to dress up like a ninja and do suspicious walks to get into places like this. There’s a time and place for that kind of thing :)

Or maybe I just didn’t get spotted.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
That does look cool, shame the tawny was freaked, normally ok to find !their own way out if left alone!
Loving the generator

I must stress the only reason we were aware of the owl was due to the noise and racket it was making. We heard it from the other side of the building and went to investigate. We didn’t poke it with a stick or anything I just opened a window for it to escape through.