real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Coltishall Sergeants Mess..Norfolk, March 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Coltishall Sergeants Mess..Norfolk, March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
When I visited here again after my last visit four years ago with @V50jake we decided to go look at the sergeants mess. I have been in here several times but it’s always a nice revisit. The sergeants mess is a similar building to the officers mess which is situated away from the main base. It has two wings either side of the main building, these are two storey and would consist of small bedrooms. The main buildings would have kitchens and mess hall, social rooms and a dance hall with bars for drinks. It’s built in standard RAF design, the sergeants mess is not quite as luxurious as the officers one. A large class status was very evident in the forces starting up in the top ranks and heading right down to the lower ranks. On the side of the older building was a large three storey, more modern extension built on it. This would provide more accomodation for service men and women. This was connected to the main building by a covered brick walkway. If I am honest it’s a grim looking building, resembling a prison I always thought.
Raf Coltishall is a former RAF airbase. It was built in 1939 with the outbreak of war and was originally built as a bomber station. But plans were changed and it opened in 1940 as a fighter base. It hosted Hawker Hurricanes, then later became a night fighter station. They used Supermarime Spitfire IX HF’s which were used for bombing the V2 launch sites in northern France.
pit was used extensively during the Cold War. It was designated as a Vbomber dispersal site in the 50s. The Vulcan,Valiantand Victor could be flown there if the home station was damaged in an attack.
The last planes used at Coltishall was the Jaguars, these saw service in the Gulf War. The search and rescue coast helicopters were based there also. When the Jaguars were to be replaced by the newer Typhoon Eurofighter, Coltishall lost out on being a base for them. It finally closed in November 2006, and was the last of the Battle Of Britain fighter base to close.

We start of in the more modern block with some of the rooms upstairs. These are quite decayed now, which is surprising as it’s quite water tight. But it’s very hot in here so maybe it’s just more mildew creeping in. We opened the doors to fight through a ton off cobweb, I felt quite itchy after..

Heading back out and the corridor doors are filled with aviation stickers.

One of the identical two wings.

Now heading down the long corridor that runs along the length of the building.

Decay is heavily setting in.

Function hall.

Standard safes you see in most RAF buildings.

The main entrance lobby. This had a nice wooden desk with the stations logo on. It had been all ripped out since my last visit. I am guessing and hoping that it has gone to the heritage group who set up in the old guard room.

The main bar and eating area.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
That's taken a bit of a hit from decay recently. Remember trekking to this back in 2018/19 and it was fairly "clean" in a way. Until a group of kids came in and we accidentally spooked them.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. The decay is nice, I'm surprised by lack of graff here, unless it just isn't in the images? That bath is grim lol. I see your favs in there and plenty of them. The accommodation block is very prison like. But liking the little touches there, buts its definitely no hotel.

I was surprised to read this shut in 2006, not sure why, just seems not long ago even though its 16 yrs! Lovely images. Showcased well.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's taken a bit of a hit from decay recently. Remember trekking to this back in 2018/19 and it was fairly "clean" in a way. Until a group of kids came in and we accidentally spooked them.
It was in a bit of state then. But definatley got worse. I bet that made them jump ha ha.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report. The decay is nice, I'm surprised by lack of graff here, unless it just isn't in the images? That bath is grim lol. I see your favs in there and plenty of them. The accommodation block is very prison like. But liking the little touches there, buts its definitely no hotel.

I was surprised to read this shut in 2006, not sure why, just seems not long ago even though its 16 yrs! Lovely images. Showcased well.
Thank you Jane. I have made many trips here and it's untouched from graffiti and vandalism. Prob how it's situated. The bath was a surprise as missed it on previous visits. Plenty of toilets about as well :thumb;). I know what you mean how it does not feel that long, but its quite a while really. I remember it shutting, remember watching the jaguars flying from there.

Who has read this thread (Total: 180) View details