real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Finmere Control Tower 11:04:09 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Finmere Control Tower 11:04:09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
RAF Finmere (Oxfordshire) was one of the many small airfields hastily built during the Second World War.

Built to supplement nearby RAF Bicester (which had the disadvantage of having grass runways) it became fully operational in 1942. It had a number of roles, but its main one was as an operational training unit (OTU) that took ‘rookies’ straight out of training school and turned them into fully operational Blenheim Bomber crews.

This site has been covered here before, and my visit was more out of personal interest, rather than with the intention of posting a report.

However I got a few shots that I felt I wanted to share.

The Control Tower is a fairly typical two storey, plus roof lookout affair. Sadly it is in a poor way.

DSC_2075.jpg

As is to be expected for a building that has been abandoned for so long there is little of interest that hasn’t been long since looted, lost or destroyed.

DSC_2034.jpg

DSC_2003.jpg

DSC_2055.jpg

Various attempts have been made in the past to secure the building, with windows and doors being bricked up and mesh being used to restrict access.

Despite all of these attempts the building is wide open to the elements.

DSC_2018.jpg

(nice, but sad, 50’s juke-box @ the far end)

DSC_2025.jpg

DSC_2036.jpg

DSC_2042.jpg

DSC_2039.jpg

This poor creature was dead, but something else lives there, as these droppings were everywhere!

DSC_2015.jpg

Not too sure what type of creature, but I think this was its nest:

DSC_2017.jpg

So why repost a site that has been recorded before?

Well as I said this place is in poor condition. It would be great if places like this could be preserved, but we all know that there are too many of them for this to be a realistic option.

So the alternative is to let them slowly return to nature, but not so for poor old Finmere.

The airfield has been used for many years as a venue for carboot sales, go-carting, microlight flying, and as a venue for a Sunday Market.

This has not been a problem until recently; sadly, it seems the current operators of the Sunday market seem to want to bury the control tower under their junk.

I ask you, is this any way to treat a retired old lady?

DSC_2058.jpg

DSC_2052.jpg

DSC_2046.jpg

DSC_2007.jpg

DSC_2012.jpg

DSC_2049.jpg

There are also piles of car batteries, and drums of chemicals stacked up against the walls.

It’s sad to see such an important slice of our history treated so badly. :mad:

p.s, two little bonus pics from the nearby woods:

DSC_2062.jpg

DSC_2061.jpg