real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Folkingham Lincolnshire - Dec 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Folkingham Lincolnshire - Dec 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Christmas day, a time to laze about overeating and watching shite telly, so with that bit done we decided to go for a wander.. Firstly we tried (And failed) To access Bass maltings in Sleaford, all the nice holes in the fences have been tidied up and fresh boards put on the windows.

Next stop, RAF Folkingham, with the daylight fading fast we headed for a chilly walk up the runways to have a look at all the vehicles, the usual Wikipedia info below for those of you who don't know the history of the place:

Royal Air Force Station Folkingham or RAF Folkingham is a former Royal Air Force station located south west of Folkingham, Lincolnshire and about 29 miles (47 km) due south of county town Lincoln and 112 miles (180 km) north of London, England.

Opened in 1940, it was used by both the
Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was used primarily as a troop carrier airfield for airborne units and as a subsidiary training depot of the newly formed Royal Air Force Regiment. After the war it was placed on care and maintenance during 1947 when the RAF Regiment relocated to RAF Catterick.

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, the RAF Bomber Command used Folkingham as a PGM-17 Thor Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) base.

Today the remains of the airfield are located on private property being used as agricultural fields, with the main north-south runway acting as hardstanding for hundreds of scrapped vehicles.

T62XvsP.jpg

84tQLo9.jpg

Od6uN1X.jpg

JhR0lyx.jpg

MezoIbJ.jpg

TGESRHP.jpg

rCIXQIV.jpg

bmAZbMa.jpg

hiSn2HU.jpg

Si3V2xK.jpg

A nice wander about for an hour, will have to go back for a night visit sometime.

Thanks for looking.

Shonaa

28DL Member
28DL Member
WARNING; we attempted to visit this find this evening as it’s only about 30 miles from where we live. Unfortunately we did not get to the yard as we were stopped by an incredibly angry farmer. After screaming at the top of his lungs (and demanding we read a tresspassing sign aloud) he stated that this is his farming vehicle collection and is in fact not abandoned. Aparently he’s had 3 break ins this week and damage to his property so while I understand his rage, I didn’t appreciate his spit on my face. Just a heads up that this guy is not one to mess about with and was extremely aggressive. I don’t think this will be one we shall be returning to . Be safe!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
WARNING; we attempted to visit this find this evening as it’s only about 30 miles from where we live. Unfortunately we did not get to the yard as we were stopped by an incredibly angry farmer. After screaming at the top of his lungs (and demanding we read a tresspassing sign aloud) he stated that this is his farming vehicle collection and is in fact not abandoned. Aparently he’s had 3 break ins this week and damage to his property so while I understand his rage, I didn’t appreciate his spit on my face. Just a heads up that this guy is not one to mess about with and was extremely aggressive. I don’t think this will be one we shall be returning to . Be safe!

Yes he's got a reputation as a bit of a loose cannon. It's his active business so he doesn't take too kindly to people mooching about if he sees them.

zaph

28DL Member
28DL Member
A friend of mine said he got in there and was met with a very similar reaction. I think there are security cameras so that the place is constantly monitored. When my friend got in, the guy stormed on down there in the middle of his Sunday roast.

If you go into Temple Woods by this airfield you'll see some remnants of some wartime something or other.

Who has read this thread (Total: 153) View details