real time web analytics
General - - RAF Goldsborough update | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - RAF Goldsborough update

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Cygedd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi folks I am new to this site ok... I am giving an update of of RAF Goldsborough.... this bunker has been pumped out this last week! It was open for 3 days so a massive industrial pump could pump it out... took as I say 3 days to pump all the water and muck out... when I enquirer to the Mulgrave estate the operation was done so an internal safety inspection could be carried out.... I myself have always wanted to see inside this bunker...but it looks like it will never happen.
Can I ask if any of you folks have been inside and have any pictures that you could share with me..
Thanks

Simon

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Pretty sure it burnt out in the late fifties and flooded pretty soon after that. I've never seen any on line. Have you asked the Mulgrave estate if they took photos?

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty sure it burnt out in the late fifties and flooded pretty soon after that. I've never seen any on line. Have you asked the Mulgrave estate if they took photos?

That is correct. I'm in the area today so I might have a drive over. One thing is for certain it would not be a nice or very safe place to look around.

Cygedd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi folks yep I asked the Mulgrave estate who said no photos were taken Grrrrr!!! The only internal pictures are in a book called ‘defence of North Yorkshire vol2’ when it was pumped out in 2000 for the DOB project. It’s 250ft long and 65 ft wide.

Cygedd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
An update so no internal pics thinking someone somewhere must have some,, So after talking to folks nearby they tell me that when the bunker was constructed they tapped into a natural spring for drinking water etc and a pump was running 24 hours a day pumping the water out... even after the bunker was decommissioned they left the pump still running until around 15 yrs ago then if was switched of to stop folks going in for a look...

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Here's another update. The bunker has been sealed off but the guard house has been fully restored as a residential house...

oxYTc4MTcyZS0zNmE2LTQ3YTktODI2NS0zZGE4OTU0ZDE4ODA=.jpg

Bellman

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was in this bunker many years ago, it would have been the end of 1977. I think it was deliberately flooded shortly after that. It was at that time loaned out to groups as a base for outdoor pursuits etc.
No pics though.