real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Kenley Officers Mess, Surrey. August 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Kenley Officers Mess, Surrey. August 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited on my own. I’ve been to RAF Kenley a few times as fairly local but not been to look round the officers mess.

I noticed there’s another large building a bit further along the airfield , does anyone know if it’s doable? I had to leave as I felt unwell so didn’t investigate.

Had a little trouble getting in at the fence but soon found a makeshift ladder. Nice to have a wander around an decided on tripod photography instead of point and shoot which I usually do. There’s an old house just off the track taking you up to the officers mess so had a nosey at that too.

whilst I was in the building a Spitfire and another aircraft flew over on a Battle of Britian fly past, I couldn’t get out quick enough to see it but the sudden roar scared the shit out of me. Plenty of pigeons for more scares and a bloody pheasant running out a bush.

I didn’t feel very well when I was there so I didn’t venture into the burnt out bit so I’d like to go back and have another look around but not on my own, would like to venture further with someone with me.

History -

Built in 1932 to a design by the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings, RAF Kenley's Officers' Mess was accorded Grade II listed status in 2001. According to Historic England the quality of the building's architecture reflects the influence of the Royal Arts Commission (and possibly Edward Lutyens among others) who commented on the emerging design in 1932.

Although damaged during a Luftwaffe bombing raid on 18 August 1940, it continued in use during the Second World War. RAF Kenley post-war took on a non-flying dormitory role for MOD personnel who were mostly employed elsewhere. The Officer's Mess closed on 1 March 1974.

In 1979 the MOD sold the building to the Department for Trade and Industry (DTI) who converted it into a radio technology laboratory and for some years it was home to the Radio Technology & Compatibility Group as the area had low electrical interference. The Mess building and surrounding land was sold on by Ofcom, in December 2005, to a residential building developer, Comer Group. Two subsequent applications by Fieldgrange Properties Ltd. in 2011 and 2015 to convert the building into private accommodation have failed to obtain planning permission and its future remains uncertain as at October 2018.

The now derelict building was badly damaged after an alleged arson attack in February 2016.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nicely covered. I wouldnt have guess you usually point and shoot, your shots are always so clear and straight. Kudo on a solo explore too :thumb

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
This was one of my first few explores I did back in 14/15 when I used to live very local. I remember when the fire happened and it was all over the local news.
Its changed so much since, it's a total mess now!

Stitch

SWC
28DL Full Member
This was one of my first few explores I did back in 14/15 when I used to live very local. I remember when the fire happened and it was all over the local news.
Its changed so much since, it's a total mess now!
I also remember it when it was almost prestine with the nice wooden bannister. Unfortunately I think it was a case of 'we want to develop this land but it's a listed building/historical significance'

Then it spontaneously combusts and the developers argue that it has to be demolished now 🙄

Who has read this thread (Total: 359) View details