real time web analytics
Report - - RAF LYMPNE -March 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF LYMPNE -March 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Motouker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A door step explore with mate, weather dry, easy access, road next to site.
Sadly the buildings have been just let go, usual stuff graffiti everywhere, such a rich past just been let go, only one building was weather tight as in roof, the other buildings roofs have collapsed, the buildings were all part of the airfield complex, the actual landing strip has been industrialised with a steel stockist and other units.
First surprise here was the find of an old Leyland flat bed lorry, used by Howletts and Port Lympne animal parks.
HISTORY
Starting out in 1916 as a landing ground for gunnery school, and home defence fighter aircraft, then became an acceptance park to deliver planes to the western front.
The base was bombed in both wars, WW1 by a Gotha, WW2 by a Stuka. In 1941 Lympne was to be the destination for the landing of an aircraft carrying Adolf Hitler in a daring kidnap plot, it is said that Hans Baur personal pilot to Hitler was to defect, plans were made for March 25th, he decided not to defect in the end.
In later years airfield went into civil use finishing in 1984.
Whats left of site are falling down buildings, and some underground bunkers in good shape all the same design bar one.
The site is worth a look, read up if you decide to go get a feel for the place.

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
nice one finding the little shelter, i have missed that in the past. Seems they have cleared loads out of the buildings recently as there was loads of odd and sods from the zoo last year when I popped in. Good to see the little skate park is still standing :thumb

Motouker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice one finding the little shelter, i have missed that in the past. Seems they have cleared loads out of the buildings recently as there was loads of odd and sods from the zoo last year when I popped in. Good to see the little skate park is still standing :thumb
Found one of the bunkers by the entrance as you go down to port Lympne park with lots of camping gear inside, seemed they had an annual camp there years ago, don’t know if it was anything to do with that.

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Crikey those buildings have gone down hill since the zoo stopped using them. Glad to see the lorry is still there.

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
I like this one - I missed the battle Hq when we went as it was in the summer and it was in middle of a Feild that overgrown with crops !

Nice photos

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a lot of other dispersed buildings from the airfield in the area which take a bit of locating.

This is some sort of semi buried store building which is down the road.

Who has read this thread (Total: 309) View details