real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Neatishead: ROTOR R3 Bunker, Norfolk, July 2015 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Neatishead: ROTOR R3 Bunker, Norfolk, July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

camoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
**WARNING PICTURE HEAVY!**

Wow, oh, Wow, oh WOW, Jesus - We Embarked on our journey some 2 Hours from home, on a whim really as all the reports we had seen previously from this place have been Permission Visit's so we didn't think there would be any chance of gaining entry. We kind of put it off and decided to revisit Pontins - but as you well know if you have been its in a sorry state and you can explore the site in around half an hour! after some Fish and Chips we decided F%ck it lets just scout it out and see what's what... i have an okay knowledge of ROTOR / RGHQ Bunkers so after a bit of head scratching, we walked to the top mound of the R3 bunker and got sucked in through a worm hole... We were in! but from there i'll let the pictures do the talking!

Info from Wikipedia

RRH Neatishead, is a Royal Air Force military radar station in the English county of Norfolk, East Anglia, and was established during the Second World War. It consists of the main technical site, and a number of remote, and sometimes unmanned sites.

The primary function of Neatishead was as a "Control and Reporting Centre" (CRC) for the south of the United Kingdom; it forms a part of the UK's air defences - namely the UK "Air Surveillance And Control System" (ASACS), and is part of the larger NATO air defence. It uses radar, ground-to-air radio and digitally encrypted data links.

On 16 February 1966 a fire broke out in the bunker, station fire teams were unsuccessful in putting the fire out and so civilian fire crews were called. 3 civilian firefighters lost their lives. Later that year LAC Cheeseman was sentenced to 7 years for starting the fire and causing the deaths.

RRH Neatishead controls the remote site of RAF Trimingham with its Type 93 Radar. It also controls the site at RAF Weybourne with its two AEGIS aerials.

Neatishead is adjacent to the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum.

In April 2004 the decision was taken to substantially reduce activities at Neatishead, and by 2006, the base had been downgraded to Remote Radar Head (RRH) status, but the museum remains open. The gate guardian, a Phantom previously based at RAF Wattisham, was cut up for scrap in 2005 despite interest from the Radar Museum.

In October 2006 local media reported that a buyer had been found for the now disused section of the base. The 251/2 acres site was advertised again in January 2010, with an asking price of £4,000,000

DSCF0026_zpsrlpsewj6.jpg

DSCF0048_zpsgfevbuh5.jpg

DSCF0096_zpsirp6gzz8.jpg

DSCF0103_zpsed48sfph.jpg

DSCF0107_zpssfko075p.jpg

DSCF0112_zpsab3fplia.jpg

DSCF0115_zpsjpalavpx.jpg

DSCF0122_zpsd3akjdo9.jpg

DSCF0126_zpsik1qnjjh.jpg

DSCF0135_zpszuiyi3jx.jpg

DSCF0143_zps3bmpeq8p.jpg

DSCF0154_zps06r4qyxg.jpg

DSCF0158_zps1yirraox.jpg

DSCF0164_zpskhknxnze.jpg

DSCF0174_zpswjwi5kyk.jpg

DSCF0187_zps6zdwm4t7.jpg

DSCF0191_zpswgvdffem.jpg

DSCF0196_zpsybo7qdiq.jpg

DSCF0205_zpsoqqw06lg.jpg

DSCF0209_zpsvvfe9ngy.jpg

DSCF0219_zpsuwx4qesr.jpg

DSCF0223_zpsusaqbr0l.jpg

DSCF0226_zpscucma1zy.jpg

DSCF0231_zpstutyauxj.jpg

DSCF0238_zpsa0lvtd2a.jpg

DSCF0241_zpsmymm9e0q.jpg

DSCF0249_zpsceyvmmq6.jpg

DSCF0252_zpshnjbruto.jpg

DSCF0261_zpsswhw2qiu.jpg

DSCF0270_zpsvoy8vvgq.jpg

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics! :thumb ....

RAF Neatishead bunker.

Yes you've seen that right, a report from myself which has posted within a month of visiting instead of the last couple of years! Anyway a nice little group visit with the likes of Norfolkexplorer and co on a wet and windy summer days. I've been waiting patiently to see inside this beauty for ages and finally got the chance to make it and it doesn't disappoint. Top marks to the volunteer/s that open it up and let us have free roam of the place for a few hours.
Thanks for looking :thumb

t... i have an okay knowledge of ROTOR / RGHQ Bunkers so after a bit of head scratching, we walked to the top mound of the R3 bunker and got sucked in through a worm hole... We were in! but from there i'll let the pictures do the talking!

Access through a "wormhole" , eh? ;) Most people do it the easy way ... :D (posting details about the access wormhole is verboten! the time lords will now proably shut it down now :( ) ...:rolleyes:

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks awesome, would love to have a look around a place like this. Good job :thumb

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
well.....
Back in 1994 I visited this site when I was helping out with a open day when I was in the cadets. Many years later I was shocked when I found out that you could now get tours around the site and the bunker, so for the last 4 years I have been waiting to get onto one, but each time I have either been working or on holiday, but this time I got lucky and away we went to have some fun and games.

and ....

Report (Permission Visit) RAF Neatishead, Norfolk, June 2015

RAF Neatishead bunker.

Yes you've seen that right, a report from myself which has posted within a month of visiting instead of the last couple of years! Anyway a nice little group visit with the likes of Norfolkexplorer and co on a wet and windy summer days. I've been waiting patiently to see inside this beauty for ages and finally got the chance to make it and it doesn't disappoint.
Top marks to the volunteer/s that open it up and let us have free roam of the place for a few hours.

Thanks for looking :thumb

I tinks they got the Nosy "P" problem under control :D

mdk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great shots! location looks incredible, must check this out myself sometime soon :D