Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - RAF Neatishead, the 'not quite a report, or is it a lead? report, er, lead - Feb 2013 | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - RAF Neatishead, the 'not quite a report, or is it a lead? report, er, lead - Feb 2013

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
SL730052_zpsa69e2221.jpg

As many of you will have seen from Bunker Bobs, thread (or the BBC news/facebook/CITV etc) RAF Neatishead is up for sale.

SL730042_zps6d12602a.jpg

Some potted history (reposted from Ordinances repost :thumb)

RAF Neatishead for sale on eBay for £2.5m - News - Eastern Daily Press

The Neatishead airbase opened in June 1941 and played a key role in monitoring Britain’s skies in the 1960s as a radar station until it was decommissioned in 2006.

It contains an underground bunker from the Cold War years, which is one of the 16 buildings included on the 25 acres up for sale on the online auction site.

Birmingham-based Stylespace bought the land off the RAF in 2006 for £4m. The RAF still carries out communication work for aircraft on a small part of the site.

This would remain, alongside the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum, which was established on the air base 14 years ago and bought by trustees off the RAF last year.

Agent Nick Barlow, from Midlands-based Barlow Associates, said: “The owner thought that the underground bunker would work for him as a data centre but to cut a long story short it didn’t work for him.

“Neatishead has been on the market for a long while and one is always open to try new ways of selling things. It was put on eBay to increase its publicity and make it more obvious to a wider market.

“There is only so much you can do on for sale boards and in newspapers. It is a heck of a lot of buildings for the price and it is a matter of finding the right person to take it on.”

He added the site has been on the market for more than two years and that the price had been reduced “substantially”.

It was the first time Neatishead has been sold on eBay and the final day for bids is Friday, February 8.

Mr Barlow added he was confident the former base would sell and there has been a lot of interest in the site in the past, but issues including the recession have prevented it from being sold.

He said since Neatishead had gone on eBay there had been a lot of interest and since Tuesday the page had attracted 5,000 hits.

“The owner would split the site provided they were substantial chunks because it would be a good move for local businesses and jobs,” Mr Barlow added.

It is also being sold through the website Barlow Associates Ltd - Chartered Surveyors

The site comes with planning permission for 3.5ha of solar panels, approved by North Norfolk District Council in May 2011.

Chris Morshead, manager of the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum, said the issue of selling the base had been rumbling on for a long time but it was business as usual for the attraction.
Well, as we were in the area, we (Me, Sarahsaw, and non-members Badger and Danny-Boy) thought we'd take a look.

All the usual welcome signs are out:

SL730018_zpsda8db023.jpg

SL730040_zps602d9a7b.jpg

SL730045_zps1392e61c.jpg

(Although, I do think you'll find that it's not MOD)

SL730048_zpsb6418abd.jpg

('Stealth-mode' fail from non-member Danny-Boy in this pic!)

SL730026_zps43fa9164.jpg

Er, well I tried....

SL730025_zps5b0d4905.jpg

But I think they were out of credit or something :rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind buying the place - nice bungalow here...

SL730024_zpsec9c09cc.jpg

(I wonder if it has a basement?)

This would make a nice sun/deck/BBQ area I think...

SL730036_zpsd2f4d3d2.jpg

SL730030_zps23754f1d.jpg

SL730027_zps7bb2aee5.jpg

If you buy it, these guys are your neighbours ...

SL730054_zps569a834a.jpg

SL730053_zps7ba2e22d.jpg

That building is the 'Air Defense Radar' Museum (mentioned above) - however, the walls are quite thick - so I doubt they would complain about your music :rolleyes:

A few more shots from the site:

SL730051_zps95c28fc5.jpg

SL730050_zps6ca13fed.jpg

SL730047_zpsd071ecc3.jpg

SL730046_zpsc49687d3.jpg

SL730033_zpsa2e0de5f.jpg

SL730032_zps50ab9fdc.jpg

SL730022_zps5b5b78b9.jpg

And a quick shot of the fence - just so you know what you mustn't climb...

SL730034_zps2e682033.jpg

All in all, I'd say that if you are a fan of the cold war, or a mushroom farmer with a violent wife - then this is the place for you.

Ladies and Gentlemen - this place needs a better look than we had the time to give it - go on, what you waiting for - make your Uncle Styru proud of you...

Attachments

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Attachments

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
Regular User
Re: RAF Neatishead, the 'not quite a report, or is it a lead? report, er, lead - Feb

All in all, I'd say that if you are a fan of the cold war, or a mushroom farmer with a violent wife - then this is the place for you.
What about imbread? such as brother and sister getting married and having there pet hamster as the star witness at the wedding?

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: RAF Neatishead, the 'not quite a report, or is it a lead? report, er, lead - Feb

What about imbread? such as brother and sister getting married and having there pet hamster as the star witness at the wedding?
Yep, I've read your FB profile mate :thumb

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
Regular User

Yep, I've read your FB profile mate :thumb

busted!!!!!! :laugh

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin

What amazed me is it is for sale on some blokes normal ebay account - he's sold used satnavs and the like - you'd think that if you are putting something up for 2,5 million that ebay would vet you first, and give you a VIP account.

I wonder what the sellers fees on £2.5 million is - hope he put it up on a free listing weekend.

One bid? - just so long as it's not in my ebay name (t***c) - wouldn't put it past my kids to bid

mstarmatt

Northern Monkey
28DL Full Member

I only knew it was on ebay as they promoted it on their FB page earlier, probably rubbing their hands together for the fees.

bbz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

"(Although, I do think you'll find that it's not MOD)"

In the middle of the site there is a live site still.

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
Regular User

I like what the last words of the ebay say.......

"SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY" lol

Hang on i just check my my back pockets for any loose change i might have to add to the £2.5 million which i have :p:

norfolkexplorer

av u seen my marbels
28DL Full Member

gutted aND a bonus all in 1 go, will def be heading in there this time