real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Rhuddlan Chain Home Station, Feb 2016 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Rhuddlan Chain Home Station, Feb 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JemCymru

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

RAF Rhuddlan was a "West Coast" type Chain Home station used during WW2.
It originally had two pairs of 325' guyed steel transmitting masts and two 240' wooden receiving towers. Sadly no longer there.

There's very little information available on this site.

Chain Home Low (CHL) was a British radar early warning system, detecting enemy aircraft movement at lower altitudes than the fixed Chain Home system, and operated by the RAF during World War II. It used higher power, operating at a shorter wavelength of 1.5 metres than Chain Home.

The CHL system used the same 'filter rooms' arrangements as Chain Home and they were fully integrated with each other in 1940, just in time to cope with the Battle of Britain. The range was always less than the CH system could manage but in contrast, the altitude information was now accurate down to 500 feet. Thus the two systems complemented each other. The shorter wavelengths meant that smaller aerials and lower masts had to be employed.

Site report

I'd known about the existance of other WW2 bunkers in the area for some time as I grew up near to the area as a child, a friend of mine's family owns some private land nearby to this site which has another 2 bunkers which have since been converted, one was at onetime used as a rehersal studio.

Anyway this bunker is well tucked away off the beaten track in a small very over grown wood, loads of thorn bushes so beware!!

great condition inside ground level and no grafitti!! unfortunatley the lower levels are completely flooded. very deep. there is a ladder going down to sub level but you would definitley need a frogmans outfit to explore haha!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_8208_zpscblyeeyo.jpg

IMG_8207_zpshhd2zf8j.jpg

IMG_8206_zpspivpzsye.jpg

IMG_8204_zpswtwzqv7s.jpg

IMG_8203_zpspnbcj46y.jpg

IMG_8202_zpsqzae9qn6.jpg

IMG_8201_zpsw7i8bcsc.jpg

IMG_8200_zpstkoykg85.jpg

IMG_8198_zpsumvd8dov.jpg

IMG_8196_zpsizomeq6i.jpg

IMG_8195_zpsobh8ekdj.jpg

IMG_8194_zpsb2w7gff9.jpg

IMG_8193_zpsri724hca.jpg

IMG_8189_zpsofmbwyri.jpg

IMG_8192_zps6fq9azx7.jpg

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don"t think i"d have my kids wandering round without at least some P3 masks on in there (you never know what"s lurking) although i doubt it"d help much if they got impaled on rebar though.