Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - RAF Scampton ? | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - RAF Scampton ?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've just been watching a program on the Dambusters who were based at Scampton. Plenty of recent footage and it looks mainly abandoned, including Guy Gibson's office in hangar no. 2.

Ordnance

Was 70 years to the day on the night of 16/17 May 1944 of the Dam Busters Raid (Operation Chastise)

Ordnance

Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) are I believe still based at Scampton. There has been talk of a re-make of the film at the base, but the date keeps sliping.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I didn't say it was closed, I said "mainly abandoned"

You were there today and you didn't see any derelict bits? They were definitely there on TV.

Gingie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The last time I was on site, "Niggers" grave was just below Guy Gibson's office, which has now been refurbished and looks fantastic. There are open days which allow you to walk from the main gate towards the runways, see the grave and enter one of the hanger (A T2 I think) which houses various collection of Reds stuff and other RAF items.

Gingie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I assure you, the base is still open as i was there today. The rumour was that the Red arrows were going to move to RAF Cottesmore, but hey guess what? Big Davy C decided to close that too just after i got posted there (cheers). Sold our high spec harriers to the americans for 99p each. If theres a base worth keeping an eye on it's RAF Wittering ;) Watch that space....
Wittering has recently received aircraft from Wyton, Tutors I think so flying will continue for a little longer.

Ordnance

Nothing in the movement plot of army units to UK from Germany over the next few years include RAF Scampton

J35 Draken

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are a few derelit buildings at Scampton, some of which can be viewed from the A15. When I was on base these didn't look particularly exciting, predominantly empty basic accommodation.

Guy Gibson's office isn't abandoned, it was recently restored by the Scampton Heritage Museum.