real time web analytics
Question - - RAF Sealand capped mine shaft? | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - RAF Sealand capped mine shaft?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

davidenco

28DL Member
28DL Member
For years “The Airfields” at RAF Sealand have been dormant until recently when building work got underway. Very recently they started installing a tall wooden fence around the perimeter so you cannot see in, except where the new entrance is (near the blue cycle bridge).

As if you’re looking at the new entrance, on the left, there’s a circular block of concrete with pipes coming from underneath it and into a water pump. The pump is connected to another unit, which has an outlet pipe with water gushing out 24/7.

Is this a bunker or a mine shaft? There’s no mention of any shafts in that area according to The Coal Authority, so maybe it’s a bunker then?

C56FFFF7-DC14-4B3C-91FE-633BD5BF4D2C.jpeg

1EB2FB5E-BEA2-4DCE-A370-014B3B21B92B.jpeg

698B7D16-D8CE-4DF2-B617-83C1484D7D2E.jpeg

Any ideas what it could be?

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
That looks rather drainage related to be honest..... and the pump would tie in with that. I guess there's a possibility of something more interesting but it does look more drainage.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Close to the tidal river in an area with extensive drainage and water management features.
There would seem very little reason for the airfield to have had any significant underground features in either world war. There are numerous interesting observation/gun posts around Sealand (that field is covered by one in the earth bank (which served as the BHQ) as well as several smaller square gun pits (some nice Air Ministry pillboxes plus the well known pill box built with space for a tree aree also close by).

Looks like a fairly standard drain access

ColinBa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In places it is below the water table and needs pumping out to maintain water levels. Amazon are in the process of building a distribution centre for 400 electric delivery vans and there is social housing planned in proposals lodged with Flintshire County Council

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF SEALAND the Airfields part had the officers mess near where i assume the pump is now but its quite low there, so possibly a sump to collect and drain water off the site.

There is a large underground bunker the other side of the blue Dragon bridge , over the cycle bridge, near the sub station, a UNITOR design, as featured on Alan Turnbulls, www.Secret Bases.co.uk.

The huge main road separating the site also stores all water on site in the various ponds located around the roads with discharge slowly into the surrounding area as opposed to direct discharge to foul water drains or to the adjacent river Dee, which is a SSI .

The ponds are designed to hold water from a once in a hundred years flood.

Who has read this thread (Total: 328) View details