real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Sedgeford, world war one..Norfolk, September 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Sedgeford, world war one..Norfolk, September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had never heard of this place until I stumbled on a little snippet. I dug deeper as there ain't many world war one remains left. I started looking at maps and found what might be a few bits on the edge of a small village on the norfolk coast in some woods on the Norfolk coast so off I went to investigate.
The airfield was opened in 1915 and operated by the Royal naval airforce an arm of the Royal Navy. The main role was to protect the coast from attacks from zeppelins. And as a satellite base for Great Yarmouth, and as a training ground, it was then passed onto the RFC the predessor to the RAF. used as a flight training airfield mainly it trained a lot of pilots. The airfield shut in 1919/1920. Reading some info there was some interesting stories the because of lack of navigation pilots use to fly by railways to see station names to find there way home. Or even land in fields and ask directions. This was my First World War One site and was really interesting.

This was the squadron office. The block extended either side of the main building shown in the pic, but it was so overgrown. Did get in the middle and one side bit and really loved the original fireplaces in here.

Just behind the squadron office is what was the old mortuary. It's just a shell now and the windows up high to stop people looking in. Next to this was a bunker that was used to store ice to keep the bodies at minus five. Due to the high amount and accidents and fatilities at this training ground the mortuary was constructed.

These old rooms were once the technical stores but had been used for agricultural use

After the outbreak of the second world war dummy airfields were used around the country to divert the enemy from active airfields. Known as KQ sites they were highly secret. Sedgeford was used to this has it still had runways and buildings still. Place a few dummy aircraft and vehicles made out of wood it served its purpose well. I had a,job finding this one but did in the end situated at the end of some woods on a field. I have been a few of these KQ sites but not been in the in the operations bit that has been below ground.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
That's pretty cool. Don't see too many WW1 structures still around. Good info on the pilots navigation too, didn't know that. Nice research on finding this. Built to last too. Nice commentary for each bit too. :thumb

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's pretty cool. Don't see too many WW1 structures still around. Good info on the pilots navigation too, didn't know that. Nice research on finding this. Built to last too. Nice commentary for each bit too. :thumb
Thank you Jane. I was really pleased to find this one. Was literally just a chance I found it. Came across it whilst researching Norfolk's lost railways.

Who has read this thread (Total: 206) View details