real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Spadeadam, Gisland, Cumbria - October 2018 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Spadeadam, Gisland, Cumbria - October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mike881NW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:

Taken from the RAF website:

'AF Spadeadam, located in Cumbria, is the only Electronic Warfare Tactics facility in Europe where aircrews can practice manoeuvres and tactics against a variety of threats and targets that they face in contemporary warfare. The facility attracts aircraft from the RAF, Royal Navy, British Army and NATO Forces. The survival of aircrews over Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere, and the soldiers on the ground who depend on air support, are affected by the training provided by RAF Spadeadam. RAF Spadeadam is the largest RAF Station (by land area) covering 9600 acres, and run by a small team of RAF personnel, civil servants and contractors (currently Landmarc) working in partnership.'

The visit:

Having strong ties with the Scottish Borders this one had always been on my 'to do' list. I was always put off after hearing stories about this place, namely black Land Rovers intercepting you if you were seen near the airfields and the like. Nevertheless me and a friend decided to visit it, after some close studying of Google Maps I found the best way to enter the site which was along a tree line over a very shallow bog and then through a woodland area which leads directly to the airfield. I don't want to use the word derelict as it appears to be in some use as we found some new and some fired blank rifle bullets, a bullet proof army vest/jacket, face paint and numerous other items. We had no issues once on this part of the site however there is a live army base in the distance, we were careful not to be spotted, I wouldn't recommend venturing further onto the site for obvious reasons. There is some very interesting artifacts like a huge tank, fuel truck, out buildings and a vast array of airplanes. This is a must visit.

On with the photo's....

FNmp2.md.jpg

FNyIS.md.jpg

FO9h7.md.jpg

FOHQ9.md.jpg

FOdBe.md.jpg

FO2Eu.md.jpg

FO3rb.md.jpg

FOK2j.md.jpg

FOfYx.md.jpg

FOqkQ.md.jpg

FOBpV.md.jpg

FOnTB.md.jpg

FOohP.md.jpg

FOxQ1.md.jpg

FOICF.md.jpg

FOTEg.md.jpg

FOu4a.md.jpg

FOR3J.md.jpg

FO5Yv.md.jpg

FO7vR.md.jpg

FOcTN.md.jpg

FO0Qt.md.jpg

FOECX.md.jpg

FOM4s.md.jpg

FOW3G.md.jpg

FOXaf.md.jpg

FOhv4.md.jpg

FOjyl.md.jpg

FONu2.md.jpg

FOOjS.md.jpg

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's quite nice. The Otterburn Ranges aren't too far from there if you like ruined tanks and military vehicles and a bit of an adventure. Just make sure you don't go when the red flag's flying!

Olkka

𝕤𝕨𝕔
Regular User
That's quite nice. The Otterburn Ranges aren't too far from there if you like ruined tanks and military vehicles and a bit of an adventure. Just make sure you don't go when the red flag's flying!
@Idle Hands is bang on the money here, the Spadeadam-Otterburn duo is a must. You can count about 20 tank range targets in your view of one valley on the ranges, and you won't see a soul, really heavenly.

44837966845_a42445ec4e_o.jpg

Mike881NW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've never heard of the Otterburn ranges, will definitely check it out! Thanks!

Shaunm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you get to see the Blue Streak silos at all? I was on exercise back in 2016/17 at Spade and I was there for a service visit in 2015 and would have loved to be posted there.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Did you get to see the Blue Streak silos at all? I was on exercise back in 2016/17 at Spade and I was there for a service visit in 2015 and would have loved to be posted there.

'silos'? There aren't any at Spade...They did start to construct one but didn't get as far as finishing the hole never mind building a silo. I guess you mean the test stands for static firing of the motors.
How many UK bases have something like this as their gate guardian!
spadegate.jpg

Olkka

𝕤𝕨𝕔
Regular User
Hi Nurse, these are Dassault Mysteres here. Best bet to see a non museum Lightning in the UK at the moment is RAF Binbrook.

NursePayne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you olkka I would love to.Do you think there’s really any in the hangers at Binbrook?I only visited Binbrook once years ago and the officers mess area was all derelict and a terrible mess.

Who has read this thread (Total: 514) View details