real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Spadeadam, Gisland, Cumbria - October 2018 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Spadeadam, Gisland, Cumbria - October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
There's one under a tarpaulin coat that I think used to be part of a museum

45389099971_1fe4b3f160_m.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
I’d like to see a non museum one

Why specifically? If it's because you think museum ones tend to be a bit sterile then perhaps you haven't seen the ones at Brunty? Seeing two of them 'launch' from their QRA sheds and do a fast taxi is probably the best way to see lighnings now. However, they do have days with much fewer people around. These are the most representative of an actaul in service aircraft that you can see.
The one at Binbrook is like a very scruffy museum piece...it takes a lot of effort to keep all it's systems functional and it lives outdoors so the Lighning preservation group have a hard job keeping it looking perfect. There are two more close by, one in the garden of the LPG chairman...that has no engines and whilst in fairly good condition it looks rather scruffy.
Never understood why people seem so keen on them (and they are 'my era' of aircraft!). Meteors and Hunters much nicer looking ;)

NursePayne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You’re off your rocket TiggerI’ve not been to Bruntingthorpe will have to go one day I need a shot of the chairman’s scruffy one Would be so nice to get non museum shot of one for a nice print.Meteors and Hunters are both noble too☝️

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Nurse, these are Dassault Mysteres here. Best bet to see a non museum Lightning in the UK at the moment is RAF Binbrook.
There is one complete lightning at Binbrook ownwed by the Lightning association and also two lightning cockpits, one of which is privately owned and the other belongs to the RAF Binbrook heritage centre.

NursePayne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
TY for the info, I would ask to take photos anyways so much money would have been invested in saving even the ones that look like husks.

tigger

mog
Regular User
You’re off your rocket TiggerI’ve not been to Bruntingthorpe will have to go one day I need a shot of the chairman’s scruffy one Would be so nice to get non museum shot of one for a nice print.Meteors and Hunters are both noble too☝️

He's a friendly chap (and has a lot of other lightning memorabilia too).........

notts89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How to you get to the tanks and other planes please we manger to find one in the field not far from red flag

faro1

28DL Member
28DL Member
Did you get to see the Blue Streak silos at all? I was on exercise back in 2016/17 at Spade and I was there for a service visit in 2015 and would have loved to be posted there.
Yes. I was a maintenance painter at Spadeadam, worked on all the sites. Seen Bluestreak many times. Actually touched the big fins.

Who has read this thread (Total: 521) View details