real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Stenigot - August 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Stenigot - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Poindexter (WW)

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
Apologies for the age of these reports but I am posting up these reports as we write more for our blog. This was our first trip at this point and I can assure you that my photography improves.

Photo1_zps9ea36db8.jpg

RAF Stenigot was a radar station built in 1940, during the Second World War, and designed to provide an early warning system for attacks from Luftwaffe squadrons based in Norway. In 1959 it was converted to be part of ACE High, the long-distance NATO communications array. It was then that the distinctive ‘Troposcatter’ dishes were added. In the late 1980’s both ACE High and Stenigot were decommissioned and by 1996 the buildings had all but been demolished, leaving the dishes grounded.

Photo2_zps92a96f84.jpg

At the time of our visit only the dishes remained, showing signs of erosion alongside the graffiti and vandalism these sites bring. The dishes lie in the field where they once stood, being too large and costly to dispose of. Previous research had shown skateboarders turning the dishes to their own use. We were aware that their location is on land still owned by the M.O.D., as the nearby radar tower is used for training.

Photo3_zps594263e1.jpg

The rear of one of the dishes. These struts would connect to the supporting tower.

Photo4_zps7ce2c459.jpg

The age of the structures is apparent on these bent panels.

Photo5_zps56abcd9b.jpg

Photo6_zpsd6f75f79.jpg

The Grade II listed radar tower can be seen from this dish.

Photo8_zps49b6b611.jpg

A ‘riveting’ site.

Photo7_zps9343b6cc.jpg

This location made for an easy first explore as it was easy to find, access was uncomplicated and the greatest threat was of being shooed by local farmers. The main aspect that made the biggest impact upon us was the sheer size of the dishes. These 20m high structures dwarf anything nearby and are even more impressive when you remember that they used to stand at twice their height.

Photo9_zps99104d0f.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details