real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Stenigot, Lincoln, November 2010 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Stenigot, Lincoln, November 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

History

RAF Stenigot was a World War 2 radar station situated near Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire, England.

It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte II along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands.

After World War II, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE High program, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter dishes.

The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996.

The Visit

As part of the day in Lincoln, we decided to call in to see these old satellites, in all honesty i had no idea what to expect from the place as i had not heard of these before, I was not dissapointed, although the site is not that big, its still worth seeing if you are around the area, especially when the site is covered in 6" of snow!

Visited with OLDSKOOL & Bugsuperstar - Thanks Bugsuperstar for the guided tour of both sites :thumb.

The Photos

[1]
Stenigot1a.jpg

[2] & [3]
Stenigot6a.jpg
Stenigot7a.jpg

[4] & [5]
Stenigot8a.jpg
Stenigot9a.jpg

[6]
Stenigot10a.jpg

[7]