Web
Analytics
Report - - RAF Stenigot, Lincolnshire, July '11 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Stenigot, Lincolnshire, July '11

tablets

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
RAF Stenigot was opened in 1940 as an east coast Chain Home radar station. Stenigot provided long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte II along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands.

East coast stations were built to the same design as the experimental radar establishment set up at Bawdsey in 1936 consisting of a protected transmitter and receiver block with transmitter aerials suspended from four 350' steel towers and the receiver aerials mounted on four 240' timber towers. The operations blocks of an east coast CH are classified as Type A with a 5' 6" layer of shingle on the roof to disperse blast, and earth banks around them.

RAF Stenigot was also provided with a buried reserve which consisted of duplicate transmitter and receiver blocks at a dispersed location. The stand-by set house, which at Stenigot has now been demolished, was of similar construction.

In 1959, Stenigot was selected as part of NATO's Ace High communications programme developed in the mid 1950's.

Ace High was a tropospheric scatter/microwave link system providing an exclusive communications network comprising 49 tropospheric scatter links and 40 line-of-sight microwave links. It extended from northern Norway and through central Europe to eastern Turkey and included 570 voice, 260 telegraph and 60 data circuits at 84 sites.

There were five sites in Britain:

Shetland Islands
Mormond Hill near Fraserburgh (Aberdeenshire)
Brizlee Wood near Alnwick (Northumberland)
Detling near Maidstone (Kent)
Stenigot (Lincolnshire)

Visited solo, late afternoon.

And now time for the pics.

5893729837_f26be538d1_z.jpg


5893706073_36e9484f44_z.jpg
5893739135_a0c859727c_z.jpg


5894292480_92ded8acde_z.jpg


5893713215_ac9623da09_z.jpg
5894299454_6af06fdb87_z.jpg


5893707491_14c2569436_z.jpg


5893728049_7710191eff_z.jpg
5893729029_a400079b38_z.jpg


5894281322_42e9a0444a_z.jpg


5893734387_150e2f5658_z.jpg


5894293822_929ac03b9c_z.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
 
Last edited:

Similar threads