real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Stenigot Lincolnshire March 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Stenigot Lincolnshire March 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dan Dan The Urbex Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A ROYAL AIR FORCE RADAR Station in operation between 1938 and 1955, RAF Stenigot was a vital piece of a communications network that detected German attacks during World War II and deterred Soviet air strikes in the years following. But today the disused dishes have since been removed.
Originally built in 1938 as part of the “Chain Home” network, the station did not initially feature large dishes. In the beginning the site’s main feature was an octet of aerial towers, four for receiving and four for transmitting. These were supported by some low-lying buildings and stood on large concrete pads. This initial installation was in place to detect and help intercept German air raids.

AF Stenigot

Sorry, RAF Stenigot is permanently closed.
A ROYAL AIR FORCE RADAR Station in operation between 1938 and 1955, RAF Stenigot was a vital piece of a communications network that detected German attacks during World War II and deterred Soviet air strikes in the years following. But today the disused dishes simply rust away as enormous relics of wars gone by.
Originally built in 1938 as part of the “Chain Home” network, the station did not initially feature large dishes. In the beginning the site’s main feature was an octet of aerial towers, four for receiving and four for transmitting. These were supported by some low-lying buildings and stood on large concrete pads. This initial installation was in place to detect and help intercept German air raids.

Once WW2 ended, the site was retooled to serve as a NATO-run early warning station to warn of Soviet airstrikes. To this end, four huge, 60-foot-wide parabolic dishes were installed, replacing the towers. This new network carried the jaunty name, “ACE High,” standing for “Allied Command Europe.” While this newer version of the station performed well, the whole site was decommissioned in the 1980s, and by 1996 the entire station was all but dismantled.
Despite being decommissioned and taken down, some features still remain. The thick concrete pads that once supported the heavy aerial towers are still visible at the site as well as some of the original buildings, including a pillbox and guardhouse. One of the radar towers is also still standing and features a memorial at the top.

Sadly I was a tad late to the party with this just missing out on seeing the last remaining dish. Still some cool stuff to see though. This is what is left of the site now.

Dated 1939!

Thanks For Looking

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice set that. Shame you missed the dishes. I like everyone thought they would be there forever. I am glad I went three times. The ops block you posted is quite nice as well. Did that on the first visit.

Dan Dan The Urbex Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice set that. Shame you missed the dishes. I like everyone thought they would be there forever. I am glad I went three times. The ops block you posted is quite nice as well. Did that on the first visit.
Yea so gutted I just missed out but that's urbex for you nothing is guaranteed. Still a few bits to see so not a total loss.

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That first piccie looks like an orginal WW2 chain home transmitter tower - not many around today!
There are not many left, it was a great example of the chain home radar when the dishes were in situ.

Who has read this thread (Total: 183) View details