real time web analytics
Report - - RAf Stenigot-lincs-Jan 09' | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAf Stenigot-lincs-Jan 09'

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zerocool

disco legs all the way :)
28DL Full Member
A bt of info from Wiki:
RAF Stenigot was a World War 2 radar station situated near Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire, England.

It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte II along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands.

After World War II, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE High programme, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter dishes.

The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996.

and memories from an ex-servicemen at stenigot:
Mike remembers RAF Stenigot...
"I was stationed at Stenigot from 1954 to 1958 and worked AMES. Type 1 ( Chain Home) as 178 SU. and latterly GEE slave as 4 SU. There were some strangely late nights working with very nice people who spoke with an Atlantic drawl and continually, like Captain Kirk, demanded "more power Scotty". I believe we once managed at least 1 Megawatt better than the specification, which created havoc with the local TV.
There was more to Stenigot than met the eye which we discovered when we were salvaging equipment after 178 SU closed. This suggested that there was also a Chain Home Low Unit on site at some time during the war. There was also a wonderful standby power system which employed a highly polished Mega Heavy Oil Engine. I wonder who salvaged that? Talking of salvage there must be a treasure trove of old electronics buried on the site near where the old stores were.
One final item that may interest. When Stenigot was built someone didn't read the plans properly. All the transmitter masts were built in echelon instead of inline this meant that we had the potential for 8 arrays where everybody else had only 4. I have been back several times since 1958 and remember fondly what was for nearly 4 years, home from home. If anyone is interested Stenigot's Pub was the Pack Horse in Louth.
Happy Days."
visited with Squirrell 911,MADMAX,Cobra and kuroneko.
ok some photos from today.
DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

kuroneko and Cobra
DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

thanks for looking.