real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Stenigot Mast, Lincolnshire - June 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Stenigot Mast, Lincolnshire - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bent Nails

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are several interesting surviving features at this former radar station.

A 350 foot radar mast, a remnant of WW2's Chain Home network provided an early warning of Luftflotte invasions into central England and is now used for training RAF aerial erectors.

ground+view.jpg

Four tropospheric scatter dishes, built in 1959 as one of the 82 stations in NATO's ACE High program (a long range cold war communication system) remain at the far end of the site and are now used by sheep as shelter.

dishes.jpg

There are a handful of buildings still there too, including a transmitter block and a pill box.

This visit however focused on the tower, which was one of four transmitter masts (there would also have been four receiver masts).

topfrombase.jpg

This is an impression I found of how the site might have looked in its heyday:

Stenig1.jpg

Although fascinated by it, I'm still pretty baffled by the system, but this diagram gives some kind of explanation.

Exciter.gif

The site was decommissioned in the 80s and mostly demolished in the 90s. Here are some photos of the ascent:

Sunrise from upper platform
lower+platform+sunrise.jpg

Looking up
looking+up.jpg

Looking down
lookingdownI.jpg

looking+down+II.jpg

looking+down+side.jpg

Looking north
north+view.jpg

Looking east
east+view.jpg

Looking south
south+view.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Great work mate, I like this a lot. I think it's the first time it's been seen on here, with it being live RAF and all that.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Very nice indeed!
Is that someones house directly underneath it?

Bent Nails

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks very much. And yes, there's a semi detached house at the bottom!

Here's a little video too (it's not the best):

[video=youtube;MHnp1MW-XK0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHnp1MW-XK0[/video]

Last edited:

ExpoLight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like the mast shots very good. Nice view from the top which shows you how remote it is. I am not brave enough to climb the tower, I just hate heights. I like the shot looking down towards the house. Nice work.

ExpoLight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I plan to return there later to photograph the mast and more bunker shots. Evening star trail shot would be good with the mast. Just time again is the main problem, also the weather.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well done for cracking on, heard too many people talk about this over the years rather than just balls it :thumb