real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Thorpe Abbotts..Norfolk, May 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Thorpe Abbotts..Norfolk, May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sorry another load of World War Two airfield remains. But we have so much around here and this has quite a bit to see. It was threatening rain that day but none had arrived so decided to go for a drive to see the remains. I have been a few times before but not for about five years. As I arrived at the first part it started drizzling and it stayed like that for the afternoon, it started getting harder as I left. A nice relaxing wander about, but it’s spread over several bits which you have to drive between.
RAF Thorpe Abbotts was built for the RAF but was handed to USAAF and designated as station 139. It was constructed by John Laing and Son Ltd in 1942 and 1943 and was originally going to be a a satellite airfield for RAF Horham but ended up being a stand-alone airfield and used by the 13th Combat Bombardment Group flying B-17 Flying Fortresses . The airfield had two T-2 hangars and several domestic sites dotted around in woodland. The group here gained a nickname as The Bloddy Hundredth, this was due to the high amount of losses the group suffered as they carried out night time raids over Germany. Later in the war they were involved in lots of different operations over France. It was returned to the RAF in 1946 and closed completely in 1956. Most of the site was removed and returned to farmland. The tower was restored and is now a fantastic museum run by volunteers.

So staring of with the communal site. First we have the standby set house.

IMG_4819.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

The sergeants shower block. Looking to the external of the tower it looks like it had a Nissen style building attached which would have been the shower block.

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4808.jpeg

Next is the chlorinating and softening plant building. I have never seen one of these before. the big storage tanks at the rear were interesting to see.

IMG_4809.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4811.jpeg

IMG_4812.jpeg

Borehole pump house, it’s always a pleasure to see one of these.

IMG_4813.jpeg

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4820.jpeg

Next up is a few blast shelter. Just a basic raised trench style system, constructed from bricks. These are quite common on most old airfields.

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

And then we have the old grocery store. It’s one very long Nissen Hut with lots of rooms.

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg

IMG_4876.jpeg

IMG_4877.jpeg

Continued..

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Heading up the road we now have the officers and sergeants quarters. Crude mess huts that are in a real state now. We have a picket post on site and latrines (I love that word for toilet blocks).

IMG_4878.jpeg

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpeg

IMG_4882.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

IMG_4889.jpeg

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4892.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4894.jpeg

Heading back on myself is the BHQ. The BHQs are all a similar design and situated away from the tower and used as an emergency back up in case of an attack. This one is a little different in that it’s situated above ground, we’re most are sunken below ground.

IMG_4895.jpeg

Viewing block constructed from very thick concrete.

IMG_4896.jpeg

Inside is very bland.

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

Inside the viewing hatch with slits all around.

IMG_4901.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

IMG_4899.jpeg

And finally one of the taxiways.

IMG_4902.jpeg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice shots mate and well covered, shame about the weather but at least you persevered. It's a local one to me so have visited quite a few times and I found new bits each time I went. You covered pretty much everything the only bits I didn't see on the report were the Sewage Works part of the site and the Officers Quarters building. I always look forward to seeing your Norfolk/Suffolk RAF site reports.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice shots mate and well covered, shame about the weather but at least you persevered. It's a local one to me so have visited quite a few times and I found new bits each time I went. You covered pretty much everything the only bits I didn't see on the report were the Sewage Works part of the site and the Officers Quarters building. I always look forward to seeing your Norfolk/Suffolk RAF site reports.
Cheers mate. Funnily enough I have never been the sewage works here. The officers hut which is an orlit hut like them ones at Tibbenham I have visited before. But seen pics with a lot of damage now and graffiti so never bothered as the rain was getting heavy so concentrated on the Nissen huts opposite.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers mate. Funnily enough I have never been the sewage works here. The officers hut which is an orlit hut like them ones at Tibbenham I have visited before. But seen pics with a lot of damage now and graffiti so never bothered as the rain was getting heavy so concentrated on the Nissen huts opposite.
Yeah the sewage works isn't anything to write home about really, just some remnants and a small building. Shame about the graffiti in the other bit.

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details