real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Upwood - Cambridgeshire - June 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Upwood - Cambridgeshire - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
In 1917 The Royal Flying Corps requisitioned 160 acres of farmland near the village of Upwood. Initially there were no permanent flying units assigned to the station and upon opening, there were no permanent buildings at the airfield either. By summer 1918, a number of huts and five hangars were in place, and it was during this time that the airfield was renamed Upwood.

RAF Upwood was eventually closed by the MOD in 1995.

The above is a very brief history of the site, MUCH more information is available here in Telfs report. It is worth a read too as RAF Upwood has a very interesting history.

I've always wanted to see this site as these sort of places are where it all started for me, we were out and about during a particularly hot weekend so it seemed the right time to have a nose and indulge my interest. The last time I saw the place apart from on here was in a particularly poor "Horror" film called The Devils Chair. I love the brutal design and structure of these sites. Winner.

The tanks are a fun extra, an elaborate prop for the airsofters who use the site too.

13_zpsdbebcaa9.jpg

23_zpseba89cd7.jpg

14_zpsbdc8873e.jpg

20_zpsa509e549.jpg

9_zpsea5a7ae0.jpg

8_zpsb6811281.jpg

30_zps332193c2.jpg

21_zps9a55b51d.jpg

29_zpse75e0ef3.jpg

Thanks for looking.​