real time web analytics
Report - - RAF/USAF Greenham Common Missile Silos - May 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF/USAF Greenham Common Missile Silos - May 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Dragon_Urbex

Built in 1941, this air base was joint used by the RAF and the US Air Force during the Cold War. It was closed in 1991 and the buildings were demolished and the roads and runway were dug up and allowed to grow over into heathland once more. There is a cluster of original buildings (the bomb silos and some buildings in the business park) that still stand. The six large missile silos are the most noticeable structures still left, aside from the control tower which is now a cafe, and they were used in the filming of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. They are surrounded by four fences ranging from 10ft tall to well over 15ft, so access is bloody hard to say the least!

The Explore:

In May 2020 when 'Rona was calming down somewhat, I went on a cycle ride (having been at home due to university being forced to close) up to the site, as I lived very close by. I've explored these about three or four times in the past but only got inside the GAMA site and the top of the silos, never into the bunkers underneath - that is a goal I want to achieve...! The compound is now used as a car storage depot by a company so I knew I had to be careful about security. Millions of quids worth of cars HAD to be guarded. And it was... lol. Within about ten minutes of my accessing the site, I was down in the GAMA site (underground bomb silos) and I heard an engine motoring around. So I dived straight into some brambles and hid. Not two minutes later, a big security van drove past slowly. I didn't know if he was patrolling or looking for me, but I didn't see any sensors or cameras so I hoped he was just patrolling. I stayed hidden for about twenty minutes before emerging and spending the next ten minutes pulling thorns out of my jeans and shirt and socks and shoes... not fun! So, after that I decided to head to the main silos, keeping to the bushes. I was almost at the silos and then I once again heard the van. So back into some brambles I went! Security drove past again, and afterwards I picked out the next batch of thorns, with a hint of annoyance. The next hour or so was not interrupted by security at all, but I had to stay alert for two reasons - security and also the exposed fenceline at the front where walkers/cyclists could see right into the compound. I didn't have my high vis vest with me so I'd have looked out of place. The rest of the time went smoothly, until I heard security doing another patrol. I was right at the bunkers with no cover in sight apart from climbing up the bank of a silo and laying down on the top. So that's what I did. Security drove around each silo and then went back to the caravan he was occupying near the front. From up on the top of the silo I had a magnificent view of the surrounding landscape, all the way to Watership Down and the Hannington Mast to the south. Really very nice... until I felt a tick trying to dig into my arm. Joy oh bloody joy. After that, I headed back down and went to the original gateway of the compound to photograph that. It was interesting - there was a turnstile covered in green moss. Would have made for a fantastic infrared photograph! After finishing up there, I decided to head home. I began making my cautious way out of the site when, in the distance, I saw security razzing down a road at the very end of the site towards my location. I was certain he'd seen me so I dived into cover... this time in gorse. He drove past again VERY slowly and stopped about twenty feet from where I was hidden, got out, walked around for about ten minutes, then got back in and left. I made a quick jog out when I was certain he'd gone. So, I went home covered in cuts and pricks. Great...! Enjoy the photos - a lot of pain went into taking them! :P

DSC_1451 (2).JPG

DSC_1454 (2).JPG

DSC_1452 (2).JPG

DSC_1453 (2).JPG

DSC_1455 (2).JPG

DSC_1458 (2).JPG

DSC_1460 (2).JPG

DSC_1461 (2).JPG

DSC_1462 (2).JPG

DSC_1464 (2).JPG

DSC_1466 (2).JPG

DSC_1472 (2).JPG

DSC_1473 (2).JPG

DSC_1474 (3).JPG

DSC_1480 (2).JPG

DSC_1482 (2).JPG

DSC_1483 (2).JPG

Thanks for readin'!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
One of my most favourite exploring memories is going here and watching the sunrise from the top of the silos a decade ago, it was almost a religious experience.

D

Dragon_Urbex

One of my most favourite exploring memories is going here and watching the sunrise from the top of the silos a decade ago, it was almost a religious experience.
Oh nice one. Did you get photographs of the sunrise at all? I would have stayed to watch the sunset if it wasn't for security and the fact it was toad in the hole for dinner. Lol!

D

Dragon_Urbex

Nice report mate a very interesting site sounds tricky to say the least !
Thanks! Yes, security has been massively ramped up because of the car depot. In 2016 when I first got in, there was no issue at all. Place was dead. But now there's a biiig security presence.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great write up. Sounds a right pain in the arse to explore though. I never realised there was even an old base here. Well done. Lovely shots from the top of the silos:thumb

D

Dragon_Urbex

Great place.....we got caught here years ago and the police went full retard on us saying it was a active military base many lols when they changed the charges about 8 times till admitting defeat,cost me 12hrs in cells
Twelve hours in a cell for a clearly decommissioned site? Sheesh. Overkill. Unless this was pre-1991 of course. :P

D

Dragon_Urbex

Great write up. Sounds a right pain in the arse to explore though. I never realised there was even an old base here. Well done. Lovely shots from the top of the silos:thumb
It is. The fences alone are bastards as there's four of them to scramble over. The biggest one is covered in slippery green algae/lichen that's horrible. Then security inside, with all the prickle bushes... not fun!!

And thanks! I was quite pleased with those. Had it not been for security razzing around and being on the ball and dinner (toad in the hole - one of my favourites), I would have sat and watched the sunset from up there. Lovely view. Here's one looking out towards Beacon Hill in Hampshire.

DSC_1475 (2).JPG

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Twelve hours in a cell for a clearly decommissioned site? Sheesh. Overkill. Unless this was pre-1991 of course. :p

Nah post 2000..........there was an old dude who caught us,seemed totally ok with us and said he had to let us out through main gate,he drove us there and 3cop cars appeard sirens blazing .........never bothered going back

12hrs was mainly because after the 5 or 6th charge they tried I asked for a duty solicitor,being a Sunday took most of the day for him to arrive .......once he did was out in 10 mins the police even drove me back to my car at greenham

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Oh nice one. Did you get photographs of the sunrise at all? I would have stayed to watch the sunset if it wasn't for security and the fact it was toad in the hole for dinner. Lol!

Yes indeed, it was one of those really surreal memorable moments of my life sat on top of a silo in the tranquil pre-dawn of an August morning, waiting for the sun to peek over the top of the horizon. A long time before the site was occupied by cars and there was only the occasional patrol by a ratty old white Transit pickup, much nicer.

Who has read this thread (Total: 316) View details